Anti-Spam Forum Changes

For use by moderators only to discuss diabolical things. :-)
GeoffSchultz

Anti-Spam Forum Changes

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I'm placing this entry here to document changes that I've made to the forum in an attempt to minimize spam attacks. It appears that over the past few days that there's been a concerted, world-wide attack on phpBB based forums. Realizing that I'll be headed off cruising later this year, I want to have 1 place where my fellow administrators can look to see what changes have been made.

First off, read the following post on the phpBB forum on preventing Spam: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1437125

Based upon the suggestions in the 1st note, I've done the following:
  1. Implemented a Unqiue Field in the registration form (and for reasons that I don't fully understand, on the UCP form.) If a robot has figured out how fill in this field, simply delete it and create a new one with a different name.

To access this function:
    • Go to the ACP
    • Click on the Users and Groups tab
    • Click on Custom Profile Fields
    • You'll see a field labeled "antispam" with a type of Dropdown Box. You can click on the "gear" to edit it or the "x" to delete it.
    • If you need to create a new one with a different name, note what all of the settings are before deleting it.
  2. I enabled queuing of posts until the user has 3 posts. A moderator has to approve the posts until the user has hit 3 posts. To access the functions which control this:
    • Go to the ACP
    • Click on "Board Configuration"/"Post Settings"
    • Under "Posting" you'll see "Enable Queued Posts". This controls the queuing of posts.
    • Under "Posting" you'll see a field labeled "Maximum post count for queued posts". This controls the number of posts necessary before the user is allowed to freely post.
  3. Limited the rate at which one can create new posts. I have this set at 120 seconds right now.
    • Go to the ACP
    • Under "Posting" you'll see "Flood Interval". This controls the time between posts.
  4. Limited the number of links in a message. Right now this is set to 2, but may need to be expanded.
    • Go to the ACP
    • Under "Posting" you'll see "Maximum links per post". This controls the number of links.
  5. If you need to delete a bunch of accounts that the robot has created and haven't been activated as of yet:
    • Go to the ACP
    • Click on the Users and Groups tab
    • Click on Inactive Users
    • Select the users to delete (or click "mark all" to select them all)
    • In the drop-down box, select "Delete" and then press "Submit"
Let's hope that this solves the problems.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

GeoffSchultz

Re: Anti-Spam Forum Changes

Post by GeoffSchultz »

The following are changes that I've made to the above based upon Spam behavior:
  • 4/16/2009: Changed the number of posts necessary before the user is allowed to freely post to 1. We should be able to tell fairly quickly if someone is a real sailor within 1 post, and I don't want to bother the moderators with approvals.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

I'm actually following all this Geoff...but with one question

Aren't the moderators limited to a moderator control panel (with only the administrator having access to the ACP)?

If so, we won't be doing any of the outlined things related to deleting of pending posts (by spammers) etc "while you are out"

Speaking of "out"...I've been "out" myself...I got past my tax season and then left town on a last round of "college look" trips with my daughter (who's graduating from high school next month)...finishing up the last trip (to Washington & Lee) and sitting in the Roanoke VA airport awaiting a flight to Dulles and then another back to San Antonio. I should be a little more active in the near future (and I MIGHT even get a chance to go to my BOAT!!!).

John

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

My plan was to promote one of more of you to admin status while I'm gone. For the first couple of months I'll have Internet access, then it's down to e-mail via sailmail.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

We will be around for the summer, and then spotty wifi and maybe hf radio email If I break down and buy a modem... ack! I nominate John! heh heh

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

I actually wanted to nominate George...

Having been chained to my desk for the past four months, I plan to be out of the office as much as possible...my daughter graduates in mid-May, and I'll take a couple of 4 to 10 day trips to the boat in May & June (anchoring out as much as possible)...I'll be out of country (in Guatemala) from July 11-23rd (unless the swine flu shuts down international travel to Guatemala by then)...I have a few "summer projects" to do around the house & ranch...and will be on the road from about the 20th of August until Sept 1st getting the kid moved off to college.

Sounds like we might have to "share" those duties to keep things running smoothly.

John

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I'll be somewhere that has Internet access through the beginning of next year. Then I'll be gone for ~6 months and will out of Internet access for the majority of the time.

John, where are you going in Guatemala? We've spent a lot of time there.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40