Propane Tank for Freedom 32

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Robert

Re: Propane Tank for Freedom 32

Post by Robert »

Rick

In the last couple of months I have had both my horizontal propane tanks recertified, at that time one of the valves was rebuilt and the other replaced. If you wish, I can arrange to get your bad tank fixed for you. The cost was only about $45.00 and that included a refill. PM me to discuss if you are interested.

Bob
Rick Simonds wrote:True, and here’s another way back into the loop. I have 2 of these tanks and given my love of cooking aboard and the tank’s 6 lb capacity, carrying a spare is a moderately important. One of my tanks works fine with its old style, horizontal-capable POL valve (the old style valves with only left-hand female threads are called POL [“Prest-O-Lite”] valves.) I’m fortunate that I know 2 places, one near my home and one near the marina that are still willing to fill this tank. The other identical spare tank had the same horizontal POL valve, but the valve itself was leaking badly enough that it became too dangerous to use. I looked everywhere and talked to everyone to try to find a suitable horizontal valve of either style. Suitable horizontal OPDs are simply not made, and old-style POLs are simply no longer available. Finally, with no other options, I had it changed to a standard OPD valve and recertified. Despite being told otherwise, without that internal “L”-shaped tube the tank no longer works in the horizontal position. Fortunately I saved the old horizontal-capable POL and can only hope that perhaps it can be refurbished and reinstalled.

As long as that one POL valve still works my F32’s LP system still works. This subject comes up once in a while and when someone says they found something I always follow up on it. It has never panned out. The bugaboo is always that both THIS tank (no other will fit) must be used HORIZONTALLY (vertical will not work.) No joy with both so far.

(Sigh….) One day, for want of a freakin’ $40 valve, I foresee the ultimate solution as some as-yet-unknown LP tank storage major reconstructive boat surgery.
Robert

s/y 'Magic' - 1985 Hoyt F32

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Aluminum LP gas tanks

My valve is now leaking and I have the dreaded aluminum 6# Horizontal Tanks...worthington doesnt make any longer.

What a nightmare to fix/replace.

Any updates? Last post was 9 years ago. Any ideas anyone?

Help!
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

I have one that recently wouldn't seal but the tank is 17 years old and starting to show corrosion so I'm planning to buy a new one. West Marine sells the tall, 5 lb Worthington cylinders for $230. It might be a little pricy but I don't mess with sketchy high pressure containers that can kill ya. Plus, the amortized cost is like $14 per year.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/worthing ... 8ZEALw_wcB
Kynntana, Freedom 38

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Thanks. You are lucky that on the Freedom 38 your tanks are vertical.

Unfortunately on the 32 they are horizontal, resting in the combing boxes.

Horizontal requires different innards, which results in using the vapor, not the liquid, thereby eliminating the pesky fiery explosion.

A chat with Worthington revealed that they no longer make 6# tanks in horizontal orientation.

Any other ideas? Sources?
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

If you cannot source any tanks that will fit in your existing horizontal tank combing boxes then maybe you should consider buying one of these and mounting it on a stantion with a new Worthington 6 lb tank. https://powertank.com/products/bkt-2287

I added one to Heart' Desire so I could carry a third tank once I started using a propane heater (consumes much more than a cooker.

I cover the to of the tank and valve with a winch cover to protect them from spray.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA