28 CK with extra ballast?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
peaceandfreedom

Re: 28 CK with extra ballast?

Post by peaceandfreedom »

yes, definitely lead. I think the lead might be counter ballast for the 50 gal water tank on starboard.

Jim D

OldRover

Post by OldRover »

Regarding the sole/subfloor and supports - I had to delay launching my 39ph due to a diesel tank leak which meant pulling it all up. The sole is teak and holly (actually the holly is really maple, not sure why the suppliers made the switch but its the naming convention). The subflooring on mine was 3/4" exterior plywood. In most cases marine ply is used, but exterior grade is ok since the only difference is there are voids and knots present in exterior grade and not in marine - the glue is usually the same. Unfortunately TPI epoxied the T&H along with screwing down making reuse just about impossible. The main ‘glassed in cross-members down in the bilge are a dense and somewhat dark hardwood most likely oak. I was surprised to find the longer cross-members over the top of the tanks were 2x2 white clear wood. This was spruce. This was cut from larger stock to match the contour near the hull. Poplar was used to back all corner joints in floor as well as interior cabinet work. The raised portions of the nav station and settee were the same. Overall, everything held up amazingly well even though it sat under water (interior had a few feet of rain water while yard owned) for a couple years. There was only some signs of mold and the very beginnings of rot unlike the rest of the cabinet work which was veneered interior grade plywood (and was a total loss). Basically other manufacturers are the same. T&H is readily available via catalog or online. All other wood should be available (or at least can be obtained) at local lumber yards. I found that shipping marine plywood made it cost ineffective and the ‘expensive’ local guys were about the same total price and easier to transport to the boat yard. One of the guys at the boatyard seals all his wood prior to install (I try to always edge seal to prevent wicking). We agree that’s overkill, especially since the OEM stuff held up well. HTH
-Dean
'82 F39 ph

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Nothing like reviving an 8-year-old thread, but can someone with a 28CK CB boat tell me how to remove the floorboards? Can't for the like of me figure out how to remove them. PO has 3 random holes cut, but I can't seem to find any fasteners...

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Completely removing the floorboards on my Freedom 28 CK (keel version) was a big undertaking, because the floorboards extend way underneath the Port and STB settees. For me, this meant totally disassembling the entire cabin, from the head back.
If I were to do this job over again,and the settees were in good shape, I would cut vertically along all settees with a vibratory tool to keep the settees intact. I also used the vibratory saw to cut through screws I could not remove conventionally. BTW, my second F28CK has the same added lead on the port side as the lead that started this thread.

Happy sailing
Jim D.

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Thanks, Jim-

My centerboard model doesn't have floorboards that extend under the settees. The interior liner extends from the base of the settees, curving from vertical to horizontal, and then appears to turn down into a lip that supports the boards, making a flush transition between the two. No visible screws or way to pull them up. I'm thinking they're somehow bonded in place...

Jeff

andygc

Post by andygc »

Have you searched carefully for plugs concealing the heads of the screws? If the job was done properly they may be very hard to spot. My UK built F30 CK had screws holding the floorboards down (somebody took them out long ago). For some mysterious reason the floorboard aft of the centreboard trunk was fitted before the mast step, so I haven't planned to try taking it up to look underneath.
Sold for health reasons :(

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

I'll get down and look more closely, maybe a sponge and a bucket will help!

CrazyRU

Post by CrazyRU »

On my 1980 f28ck floor just glued to underlying fiberglass.
It is 1/4 inch sheet of plywood.
Also mizzenmast step is set on top of the plywood.
CR
s/v "NEMO" - Freedom 28 Cat Ketch centerboard

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

Yep=I looked a couple days ago, and there are no screw heads/plugs down there. P/O cut a few access holes, and the flooring is a lot thicker than 1/4" on mine...Maybe closer to an inch?