Bottom Paint

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
rvivian

Bottom Paint

Post by rvivian »

Its time for me to think about bottom paint.

Has anyone had experience with the Coppercoat system of epoxy coating mixed with copper powder that is supposed to last 10 - 15 or more years between haul-outs? http://www.coppercoatusa.com/

Too good to be true??

In 2014 Washington is banning copper in bottom paint. Looking to the future and the economics of haul-outs and bottom painting I'm wondering if Coppercoat might be the way to go.

Material cost for my Freedom 30 is around $750 and it requires removal of old bottom paint and then application of two coats of the copper/epoxy mix.

By contrast a friend here just paid $800 to have his 25 foot Catalina painted. The paint lasts about 3-years here in Puget Sound, WA.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Hans

Re: Bottom Paint

Post by Hans »

I used copper coat on the 38ft in 2006. Boat has been hauled only a couple of times just to change propeller and wax, furthermore year round in the water.
last time out several months ago. No growth, only some slime on the surface. Slip is in fresh water, she sails fresh and saltwater.
I think it's a wonderful product and very price competitive when it lasts that long, not to mention the pleasure to be rid of antifoulingjobs for many years.
Have it on the 45ft now as well. Lies in warmer waters, future will show how it holds out there.
When a do yourself job: follow the instructions and use only the right dilutant: isopropyl alcohol. Any other stuff will ruin the copper coat as I found out.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Thanks for your reply. I saw your previous post and that several others were considering it in 2010.

Yours is the only real positive recommendation but is based on actual experience.

Most boaters I ask about it are negative, but of course they have not used it.

My boat spends all of its time in cold saltwater and, sadly, does not move very often (been re-fititng for 2-years).

I plan to try the Coppercoat early next year.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Hans

Post by Hans »

I've heard other negative comments also, but asking to specifics it turned out no one had used Coppercoat but similar other products. "Copperclad"? was often mentioned.
A positive side effect of using Coppercoat is having fixed future osmosis problems also. Most work is preparing the hull: cleaning to gelcoat is a lot of work.
Putting on the product is easier then thought of when reading the instructions.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi, im also been debating weather to use coppercoat or not and the time has come to make a decision in the next two months. Im still not sure, i appreciate Hans comments. There seems to be alot of negative feedback on the net. I was talking to a guy in Thailand who leaves his boat in the water full time and hes been very happy with Coppercoat yet at Langkawi Malaysia where im at now there is a catamaran that has 2 inchs worth of barnicles all over his Coppetcoat and he tells me this has happened in 7 months! Ive personally looked at both these boats. The common consenses seems to be the application is crucial, constant stiring to make sure copper is dispersed evenly throughout the mix. My main reason is i like a clean bottom and are willing to clean it quite regularly as i have a hooker and dont mind doing it. Coppercoat being hard obviously wont rub off and apparently a good scrub activates ( exposes ) the copper making it more effective. When i say cleaning there is obviously are limit to how much i want to do.
So in summary i still dont know. I do know if i do use Coppercoat I'll apply it myself or supervise it being put on to assure its put on correctly.
Cheers Dale
Freeform.

fmolden

Post by fmolden »

I had 12 years of bottom paint build up and it was starting to peel and flake off, so it was time to do the "new" bottom thing I thought about Copercoat but after reading a couple of reviews I decided to go with Eco-Clad, http://www.ecoclad.com/ . It is a hard bottom paint and non toxic. So far, 2 months, in Chesapeake bay, it has worked well. It was applied over a soda blasted bottom, three coats of IP2000 and one coat of Eco-Clad. Advertised as a three year paint. I will pull boat by November and let you know results.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Han's, how long have you had Coppercoat on your F45? And impressions to date. As its in warmer water im interested in how it will hold up.
Cheers Dale
Freeform.

Hans

Post by Hans »

I put the copper coat on the F45 in 2010. Made the mistake to use the wrong dilutant. ( I could'nt get the right one on time and wanted to launch the boat to do some sailing in my holiday) When it dried it didn't have the same color/ appearance as on the 38ft. After changing the stands I did the remaining places without dilutant. After launching within a week I saw growth starting on the bottom except on the places where the stands had been. Sailed the boat to Warren River several months later. Where the stands had been she stayed clean, rest seriously fouled.
New Coppercoat has been applied by Paul Dennis. Boat has been launched may 2012 and I sailed her to Jamaica, where she is now. She didn't grow anything in two months I sailed her. Now at Montego Bay Yachtclub. I return there in december. Then I can inspect and report.
When I rolled the Coppercoat in 2010 I spoke to the manufacturer in the UK, he warned me not to use any dilutant not provided by Coppercoat as it would ruin the product. Eager to sail I didn't listen.
Unfortunately he was right. On the 38ft there isn't hardly any growth after 5 1/2 years in the water at moderate temp.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Im so indecisive about this Coppercoat thing. I respect opinions such as Hans, these people are obviously experienced knowledgeable sailors and report favorable results from Coppercoat. On the other hand i come across so many anti Coppercoat opinions. There is a thread on Cruisersforum at the moment(which i should add is conducted very poorly at times ) about Coppercoat which constantly has me changing my my mind to and fro.
Im heading back to Freeform next week and are going to do her bottom so its crunch time decision wise. Anyone have anything else to add in regards to Coppercoat that may sway me either way? Very rarely am i so indecisive. Freeform stays in the water all year round and from this year (for the next 5 years) will spend 6 months not moving. I dont mind giving the hull a scrap as i dive and have a hookah but obviously i dont want to do this weekly and next year im in Borneo which has Crocs!
Cheers Dale
Freeform.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Im beginning to believe the following is probably accurate

I researched this when building my current boat destined for a world cruise. As is said above, there are good stories and bad stories and it very much depends upon whether it is properly applied. Few yards have a great deal of experience in applying it. On the occasions that the coat fails, the yard blames the paint and Coppercoat blames the yard. The upshot of which is that is is hard to get redress when it fails. 

Application is the only thing that seems to explain conflicting reports.

Cheers dale
Freeform.