Wasps!?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Rick Simonds

Wasps!?

Post by Rick Simonds »

Here's a maintenance/ repair item I don't recall having been discussed before:

How do I get rid of the wasps that have built a nest inside the boat between the cabin top and the headliner, right above the stove? There is a small opening in the edge of the headliner they are going in and out of. There's not much access for me, but I guess I'll try spraying some hornet spray in there then running like hell.

I also wonder how they are getting in and out of the seemingly closed-up boat. The Nicro vents in the overhead hatches is all I can think of.

Has anyone fought a wasp problem before?

Rick
Tallahassee

Craig

Re: Wasps!?

Post by Craig »

What about a fogging 'bomb'?

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

That's a good idea. I do see the occasional other bug (this is Florida. Florida is wildly bug-friendly.) Maybe bombing the whole boat would fix it all.

It also occurred to me today to just walk around pushing up hard on the headliner to squash the nest and its occupants.

Rick
Tallahassee

moosemcclintock

Post by moosemcclintock »

I had a nest of carpenter bees in my house, I hit the nest with wasp spray and they came out through every fitting in the ceiling and crevice in the wall, they have the ability to get through incredible small holes, I'd think wasps are the same. If you spray you have to run, the good thing is that they never nest in the exact same place again so you'll probably be rid of them.

rubbus

Post by rubbus »

Another solution is to just vacuum the wasps up as they come out of their hole. Takes a while, but eventually they will all be gone and the colony will die. I did this with some yellow jackets that had nested in the roof of my house. Of course- I had to run the vacuum all day to do it, but it works. (I just positioned the vacuum hose next to their hole and ran it- they would fly toward the hole and get sucked right up. The trip into the vacuum kills them.)

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

To make sure you kill the insects, put a few moth balls in the vacuum cleaner bag.

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

No wasps could be seen or heard aboard Justiina this weekend, and I stayed aboard 2 nights, armed with all sorts of weaponry. I sprayed some wasp spray into where I had seen them and no reaction one way or the other. I did see a trail in the rain gutters of the main companionway sliding hatch so I think that's where they are getting in. Sprayed a little there, too.

It's still a mystery, or maybe the problem just cured itself...

Rick
Tallahassee