Port windows F32

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Tmack

Re: Port windows F32

Post by Tmack »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I'm very pleased to have that job done.

Weird asked about the handrail in the pic (did not get to making new thread). One bolt had a rust trail going down the cabin top. Pulled the rail and the bolt looked fine. Cleaned up the rail, varnished, placed back on and the bolt snapped at the base inside. It was rusted at one spot that I could not see down in the hole drilled in the fiberglass. So replaced that and we redo the rail tomorrow. Here's what the back of those rail bolts look like (Weird asked) taken from up under the liner inside the cabin.
Attachments
Rail-screw-back.jpg
Rail-screw-back.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

My windows project.

In FTL there are a number of window/port companies. One that I interviewed worked on bigger boats, they replace windows every 5 years.

Tons of fun :(

Tired of leaked, this is what we did...took a lot of work, about $2K

Looks great, zero leaks after a year. Glass. Zero holes. Way better optics, durable, and nice look.

/s
Attachments
04F50B2F-8D45-466B-8EFE-EF613544EF0F.jpeg
04F50B2F-8D45-466B-8EFE-EF613544EF0F.jpeg (75.37 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
820DA962-4848-4849-A67D-BDEE7B550260.jpeg
820DA962-4848-4849-A67D-BDEE7B550260.jpeg (87.45 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

That continuous window looks a lot different. I think I like it. Looks like you ran the plexiglass over the fiberglass in the middle. I don't understand how you got it to fit into the window openings and yet overlaid the fiberglass in the middle? Did you cut out the fiberglass in the middle? Thanks

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

I haven’t pulled mine yet but i believe on the 32’s at least the widows sit proud of the fibreglass. There would be no difference it the levels. It’s a nice clean look. What adhesive was used to attach the glass?
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

In addition to what adhesive was used I would ask how did you "clamp it" to get it to have minimal if any gaps/good adherence. I haven't pulled my windows. At least one side was done prior to my ownership. One side is clear the other is hazy. Neither leak. Just following. Thanks,

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Wow...They used the strips of adhesive mentioned by others on this site. Looked like sticks of gum.

They said it just wont let go, then filled to the edges with 4200. I didn't see how they clamped it but the guy said they used wood braces off the toe rail, life line and hand rail for tension. They filled all of the screw holes.

After a few weeks, they came back and filled in the rest making it flush to the edge of the glass with black caulking...I will check to see what they used. No more leaks!!! Wish I were there when they did it, but it took a couple of weeks of removing, prepping, paining, fixing to the hull, then finishing. Work beckons in the Bay Area. I think the glass was about $1K.

Since the outside of the boat is flush (not raised), they just used three pieces of glass to cover the sections in the middle with very small seams for expansion. No need to cut any fiberglass in middle.

They sanded and repainted on edges, but roughed it up in the right areas to get good seal.

At first I wasn't sure I liked the look of the long, singular window, but it has grown on me.

BTW...it is glass, not plexi. Dark smoked color. Amazingly clearer than the faded lexan. Now I need to put the damn blinds back up.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

BTW - why I redid these.

It leaked about 5 years ago and nothing would fix it. Screw holes gave way a bit and despite re-bedding, more leaks, water got into core around windows and under there, especially in the galley.

Drastic times, drastic means.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

Well, mine have been redone too. They were redone before I got the boat. They look pretty good but not as unique as yours. Thanks for the thoughts/feedback.

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

BTW if not too much trouble, post a photo showing the boat with the new windows so we can get an appreciation of the change. Thanks,

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Posted some pics above...having trouble attaching photos again. :(
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81