Eyebrow trim in the Bay Area?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
SFBaysailor

Eyebrow trim in the Bay Area?

Post by SFBaysailor »

I went out to my boat today for the first time in a few months. Life gets in the way of boat projects... Anyway, while washing off the ridiculous accumulation of ash before power washing, I started looking at the ‘eyebrow’ trim, the one that runs right above the ports. I don’t think it’s going to be worth saving judging from the amount of crud coming out from behind it.

Does anyone in the Bay Area know who might sell this trim? Online suppliers sell it in 5’ lengths, and I really don’t want joints in the middle of the run... Probably looking for 12-14 footers.

Thanks for any help!

Jeff

gamayun

Re: Eyebrow trim in the Bay Area?

Post by gamayun »

I keep thinking that one day I'm going to yank that stuff off ("eyebrow trim", huh?), paint the groove brown and be done with something that is so completely non-functional. Any reason not to?
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Camino

Post by Camino »

I had a Sabre 34 once and had eyebrows on the coach roof - Sabre had exact drawings of the eyebrow profile. I replaced mine and one other boat's pieces. You need a dimensional profile of the eyebrow, take it to a wood shop company and have them tool it.... suggestion...

The eyebrow theory being that water would be flowed away from the port lights.... in practice, as an example on the F 35 P, is a non sequitur - I think...
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

I think you’re both right. That said, my decks are gray and a pain to match with epoxy tint, so I’m going to fill the old holes and drill nice new ones next to them...

Stephen_H

Post by Stephen_H »

For what it’s worth, I yanked the eyebrow trim off my F30 rather than replace it. I think the boat looks better without it too. It took literally days to get all the silicone off the fiberglass, and I still find spots of it months later. The only thing the eyebrow did on my boat was grow algae and mold.
1985 F39 Express (Hull #44)
S/Y OXYGEN
Port Washington, NY

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

I think I may be right there with you. Got the new, beautiful handrails installed, and the eyebrow just looks like clutter.

The previous owner of my boat was a huge fan of silicone. I found that CRC Brake Cleaner spray from Harbor freight makes quick work of it. Need to immediately follow it with a scrub brush and soapy water, otherwise it just leaves a smear when the cleaner evaporates.

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

I just spent the better part of two days removing the eyebrow trim from Kynntana. What a mess! But very glad I did it. A previous owner had embedded the screws in epoxy (the heads too) and it was a right real pain removing all the old silicone and stuck wood pieces and built up varnish. I had noticed, though, that one benefit of this trim (and maybe the only practical reason for it), is to deflect rainwater from coming straight down on the top rim of the port lights. I've now decided to replace the hand rails and eyebrow trim with fake teak. PlasTeak is a company that advertises to send in your old pieces and they will create new ones. The joints on the trim and the plugs can be blended in by hitting it with a little butane torch. Has anyone done this? If not, I'll try to report back once I see how it turns out.
Kynntana, Freedom 38