Recently bought a Freedom 40cc

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Pelican

Recently bought a Freedom 40cc

Post by Pelican »

My husband and I are the proud new owners of a 1981 Freedom 40cc named Pelican. We were causally looking for boats over the summer and were so taken with how unusual the 40cc is that we had to have it. It was previously owned by a couple who lived aboard in Baltimore, and we're told before that it made regular trips from Worton, Md., to the Bahamas and BVIs. We moved it to Hartge Yacht Harbor a little ways down the Chesapeake.

We're eager to learn everything we can about the boat. Still haven't figured out a hull number or exactly how many of the 40ccs were made. I've enjoyed reading your archive of posts about this boat and similar ones. For now we're getting used to the boat, learning the systems and trying not to break everything we touch. Eventually we want to do some coastal cruising and trips to the Bahamas.

Just wanted to introduce ourselves!

Perry & Dan
new owners (small).jpg
new owners (small).jpg (19.09 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Pelican (small).jpg
Pelican (small).jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 1203 times

bad

Re: Recently bought a Freedom 40cc

Post by bad »

Heya Pelican! Welcome to the group and wish you lots of joy with the new boat. She looks similar to this:

"Re: Freedom 40 rig
Marquesa has aluminum spars and isomat booms with jiffy reefing. The sails are on strongtrack and full baton sails. I've built a lazy jack system that is incorporated into the sail packs I had made for her and all that works perfectly. Her awning is of welded aluminum tubing with canvas stretched..."

There was a custom water maker and the perkins went through a major rebuild.

Erik