Silicone around mast boot?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
iansan5653

Silicone around mast boot?

Post by iansan5653 »

Hello, I have a Freedom 21 but I think this question may apply to most Freedom boats. Checking the boat after TS Elsa this morning, I noticed some significant leaking around where the mast comes through the deck.

My best guess is that the mast boot isn't forming a perfect seal with the mast and the water is running down the side of the mast into the boat. My collar looks like this:
PXL_20210629_003148137.MP.jpg
PXL_20210629_003148137.MP.jpg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 3044 times
My instinct is lift up the collar, add a bead of silicone, slide the collar down and re-tighten it to ensure a good seal. However, I don't see any traces of silicone already present there so it must not have ever been done in the past. Is that the best solution?

Alternatively I'm considering replacing the boot, but it seems to be in good condition and I doubt a replacement will be cheap since I'll have to get rig-rite to make one.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

newt2u

Re: Silicone around mast boot?

Post by newt2u »

Hi Ian, I have a similar setup although with a jubilee style clip around the collar. Mine seals perfectly without silicone. However I do not see any issue with using silicone f yours is leaking. How often will you be unstepping your mast? I have done that every season so far hence my reluctance to use it before trying without.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

I have used wide rescue tape - very much like mast boot tape to seal that area. Start wrapping tightly from the bottom - right at deck level - and work your way up until you're wrapping just around the mast. Once you use silicone, if you need to pull the mast you'll have a very difficult time getting sealant to stick there again.

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

That's a cool idea - I love finding out about products I never knew I didn't know about! I might try adding a layer of that tape over or under the existing boot.
Ian Sanders

andygc

Post by andygc »

iansan5653 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:18 pm
I doubt a replacement will be cheap since I'll have to get rig-rite to make one.
No you won't. I used flexible drainage pipe connectors. Details in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=52016#p52016
Of course, you can only fit it if you pull the mast, or get up the top and wriggle the coupling down to the bottom.
Sold for health reasons :(

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

…and pulling the mast on an F21 is pretty easy.

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Thanks all for the help - it looks like the rescue tape is going to work perfectly. It forms a wonderful seal around the top edge of the boot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EdUrda2ADe9whYJA8 (sorry, image too large to upload here). I then reinstalled the hose clamp on top of that and I have complete confidence in it. My only concern is how it will hold up to UV, but I don't mind replacing it every couple months if necessary - the tape was not expensive.
newt2u wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:31 am
…and pulling the mast on an F21 is pretty easy.
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. How easy is it? Is it doable without hauling the boat out and without a crane? I feel like a couple of strong, tall people might be able to handle it without any equipment but I'm not sure and I don't want anyone to get hurt.
Ian Sanders

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Hello Ian,
You can certainly un-step the mast with some strong tall friends, provided they are 12 feet tall.
A better bet would be to fabricate an A-frame that extends well above the center of gravity of the mast. Remember you have to attach the noose above the center of gravity and then you have to be able to hoist that point for the length of the mast section below the deck. I have done this many times on F25's, and even on my F28 CK. If desired, you could lower the center of gravity by strapping weights to the mast just above the deck, but there should be no need for this on a Freedom 21.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11636&hilit=unstepping.

While your mast is down, buy yourself a Fernco fitting to match to diameter of your mast at the deck level. I cut down the section with the bigger diameter to be able to install the fitting closer to the deck.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-1006 ... Steel-Lead

happy sailing

Jim D.

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Hi Ian,

as I said, on the F21 it is easy. I would say two people are required, although I have done it by myself once. I have a A-frame made from aluminium right angle form, 50x50mm by 5mm thick and 5m in length bolted together at the top. Others have used 2x2" timber and a hinge at the top. You need a pulley system, mine has 4:1 purchase, double block up top and single becket below. I use the mainsheet turn block on the deck and bring the end back to the winch. I have guys to support the A frame, 2 forward and 2 aft, and swivel feet at the base. I tie each foot to the Stanchion base to stop fore and aft movement and have a strop from one to the other to constrain the width between them.
You can see the set up in these pics.
DSC_0037.jpeg
DSC_0037.jpeg (346.33 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
IMG_0319.jpeg
IMG_0319.jpeg (304.38 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
IMG_0320.jpeg
IMG_0320.jpeg (309.03 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
I use another strop from the boom attachment going up the mast with a loop around the mast at its end where I attach the pulley, sorry can not measure the length right now as its onboard and I'm away from the boat. This is a bit lower than the CoG but it does not require much effort to balance the foot of the mast and I find that more manageable to have to keep a bit of downward pressure on the foot, rather than having it balanced. To step and unstep, lift the mast with foot to the stern, which should clear the cabin roof with the dimensions I have given. Make sure the apex of the A-frame is over the mast's deck hole, perhaps slightly aft by about the mast's diameter, as when vertical it will be forward of the apex.

I have never done it afloat and I would not recommend it, you really need a stable platform.

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

There is a doc by Wilf Bishop with more photos from the Freedom 21 archive.