new propane tank won't fit on Pedrick 35

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Salacia

new propane tank won't fit on Pedrick 35

Post by Salacia »

The propane tanks on my '97 Pedrick 35 are expired. The P.O. had cut down the handle around the top of the old tanks. Good propane dealers didn't want to refill tanks that had been altered. I decided to buy new ones. When I put them in the locker, the top wouldn't close. That was why the old tanks were cut down.
The tanks are 22.125" tall and 6.25" wide at the base. They need to be 21.75" tall.
I've talked to West and to Worthington (the major tank manufacturer). This is the smallest they make.
Next option is to rebuild the propane locker.
Has anyone run into this and if so, what did you do?
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Mark K.

Re: new propane tank won't fit on Pedrick 35

Post by Mark K. »

I have a 1995 Pedrick and the Worthington 299494 cylinders fit perfectly. Unless the Freedom changed the molds for the boats (highly unlikely) I suspect either a previous owner put some kind of spacer under the tanks or modified the lid making it lower. I have my boat in Salem MA and I will be available this weekend if you you want to take a look at my propane locker or I could bring a propane cylinder to your boat and test fit it. Let me know if this would help.
Mark K.
Encore
1994 Freedom 35'

dwight

Post by dwight »

Stephen

Is there anything on the bottom of the locker? Some boats had a round ring that the tank was supposed to fit over. If this ring is too large a diameter it will hold the tank 1/2" - 3/4" high. This sounds like the space you need to make the new tanks fit.
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Thanks, Dwight but there were no rings, rises or dips. Any other ideas from your experience?
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Wish they had horizontal ones for my Freedom 32 (Hoyt).

There is no way to make the propane locker bigger, and the propane cylinders lay on their side in a cradle.

Worthington was unwilling to create one at any price.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

Camino

Post by Camino »

I have the f35 p also - last year I bought a WM tank and it fit - probably the last of the lot. My propane locker is starboard aft, bottom of which drops into the lazarette- option one would be to cut the bottom out of the locker and extend it a couple inches. Option two would be to hacksaw off the propane tank grab handle that sticks up a couple of inches over the valve.

View my previous post from 2019 or 2020 where I have pics of the old and new tanks and a view of the locker - is yours like that?
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Greywine

Post by Greywine »

Hi all,

I upgraded mine this year and these fit:

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?n ... 2&id=59080

As the previous posts mentioned, maybe there's a modification in the way?

John

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Thanks...this seems such a thorny issue.

Couldn't find photos - perhaps I an not so good at looking.

The tanks are the perfect size, the issue is the horizontal orientation, rather than vertical. Seems no one makes or converts them to horizontal - which is critical.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

A note on propane tanks in general and on the horizontal ones for the F32:
I took my expired horizontal tank to a nearby industrial gas dealer and they refurbished and re-certified it. Probably cost what a new tank might have, but I was pleased to have solved my issue. Don’t know if they would have re-certified a modified tank though.
Then a couple years ago I saw horizontal tanks that looked right size at West Marine in Old Saybrook CT. Did not notice the brand, but perhaps they are still available? Worth checking, if you haven’t already
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost