Freedom 45 CC update

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Dcroft61

Freedom 45 CC update

Post by Dcroft61 »

Good morning,
Like some others here I have just purchased a Freedom Yacht. She's a 1989 Freedom 45cc. She appears to be in great shape but needs to be "refreshed" There will be plenty of sanding and varnishing, chasing down electrical systems, new antifoul, I'm sure most of you know the drill. I do have some questions for you experienced Freedom owners.

I'm going to need some replacement station bases Where do I find those or is it best to switch to stainless steel?
Should I pop out the through hulls and rebed them?
Suggestions on replacing the shaft seal?
How do I remove the headliners?
Is the motor on the electric winch rebuildable?
Have any of you updated the refrigeration? Mine has two compressors and one is SHOT!
Electronics with trepidation, I know everyone has an opinion, I'm leaning strongly tword B&G, I just like the features. The boat currently has Raymarine that are over ten years old.
Anything any of you could offer as advise would be greatly appreciated, any topic I look forward to hearing from you.

I'd like to post a youtube channel when I get started and start sailing. "Sailing s/v SHASTA", I don't see much on the 45's on YouTube???
All the best,
Don
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc

Hans

Re: Freedom 45 CC update

Post by Hans »

Hi Don,

The stanchion bases are French: "Goiot". One of the more sturdier quality. Don't combine stainless steel with the aluminum toerail ( which is
also Goiot) because it gives serious corrosion problems.
Which winch brand do you have?
Headliner is easily removed when you unscrew the varnished wood slats which keeps them in place.
I replaced my shaft seal with a Tidesmarine with water lubrication, works fine.
Took last year the Grunert refrigeration and compressor out and replaced with a Isotherm refrigeration unit. works fine.
Before I did this spent a lot of money on repairing the Grunert, but it kept giving problems,
Isotherm works fine, cools excellent and low 12V consumption. Should have done it years ago.
Before rebedding the through hulls: check for water ingress round the through hulls. Mine didn't need to be redone.

Success with your 45,
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

Jason

Post by Jason »

How is your boat coming along Don

Dcroft61

Post by Dcroft61 »

Good Afternoon,
Shasta is coming along nicely. It's a boat so I never know what will be the issue of the day lol. Currently working on the vacuflush heads, the main sail has a tear in it that I hope can be sewn. All in all though she's in great shape. We're currently in Grenada enjoying the tropics.
I'm not sure ho wthe reefing system works or how the lines are run from the boom to the mast? Any ideas?

Happpy sailing
Don
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc