Potential F45 CC purchase

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
ClayandVal

Potential F45 CC purchase

Post by ClayandVal »

Hi, I'm considering an offer on a '95 F45 CC. I have what I suspect are fairly routine questions and I'll shamelessly accept advice from anyone on here and especially any with 45 CC experience.

1. Screwed down teak decks. Look nice but worried about water intrusion. Can survey find wet core through/with teak decks? Anyone estimate the life expectancy? Anyone replace them on a Freedom?

2. No outhaul led to the cockpit and I've read that it is key in flattening the big main, is this a concern? It's a replacement main (North) with 3 reefs but only 2 lines led to the cockpit, single line reefing I think. I don't know if there is a cunningham (boat was shrink wrapped). It has the good mast tracks so I think getting it down should be easy but I want to be able flatten and reduce sail easily and from the cockpit.

3. I didn't see any cracks in the mast but am inclined to go to the top (or have some do it) before I purchase to inspect the integrity of that expensive spar. Not sure if surveyor will do this or not. Will insurance possibly demand it be inspected by a qualified rigger?

4. A few water issues around portholes and portlights. Anyone have experience re-bedding them on Freedoms? Have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help and any good news/bad news stories are welcome as well.

LanceRyley

Re: Potential F45 CC purchase

Post by LanceRyley »

1. Can't help you with the teak decks.

2. the outhaul on mine needed an extra purchase. I also am in the process of leading it back to the cockpit and its own clutch. I've never liked having to go to the mast and banjo the outhaul to adjust it.

3. My latest insurance survey asked for an inspection of the 'standing rigging.' surveyor said "headstay looks fine, that is the full extent of the standing rigging." That said, it's worth having the mast looked at, preferably down but can be done in place.

4. The portlights are the biggest problem I've encountered. I have replaced all but 2 with the Newfound Metals equivalents, which look good, are relatively inexpensive, and once you get the swing take about 1-2 hours per port to install. Trust me when I say that you will never get the original portlights bedded properly - they are a very poor design and if you decide to remove them, you will be slightly aghast at how easy it is.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions about the boat.
S/V Glory, 1992 Freedom 45 CC TM WK

ClayandVal

Re: Potential F45 CC purchase

Post by ClayandVal »

Lance, thanks for the reply. I'll find out if the portlights are original, I was told they were removed and rebedded a few years ago... I'd appreciate info on the spedific New Found Metals portlights you used and why.