Mast Gasket

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Clemson

Mast Gasket

Post by Clemson »

The mast on my recently purchased 1987 28 will be stepped in April. From what I can tell there was some sort of gasket material between the mast and the boss in the hull that it sits on. The previous owner had the mast removed. The black fragments left behind just turned to dust when I attempted to inspect so to figure out what it was. Does anyone have any idea what this material is, and how it is applied prior to stepping the mast?

walterg

Re: Mast Gasket

Post by walterg »

Hi Clemson, there is a urethane ring around the mast at the deck, but at the base of the mast there is no gasket, the mast just sits on a "top hat". If you are seeing black dust my guess is that it is from the insulation over the mast wiring, it gets old and brittle and accumulates at the base of the mast.
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

walterg wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:47 am
If you are seeing black dust my guess is that it is from the insulation over the mast wiring, it gets old and brittle and accumulates at the base of the mast.
That is exactly what it is. Nothing to worry about.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Clemson

Post by Clemson »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate this forum, because I would have never guessed the answer, nor would I want to. I am glad to have something I can cross of my "to do" list that does not require further research or cash.

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Ditto the above. Before you suck it all up in a shop vac, run your fingers through it and see if there is a silver dollar there. Mine was quite beat up but it was an 1888 Morgan silver dollar. I cleaned it and put it back on the tophat.
Kynntana, Freedom 38