Deck non skid

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Camino

Deck non skid

Post by Camino »

I’m Re-applying non skid to the deck with the boat in the water - using kiwi grip in sea foam green as before. I’ve completed 17 sections with 10 to go. So far so good. A couple sections came out too aggressive in non skid so afterwards I’ll lightly sand off the peaks and re-apply a thin coat. So far it’s been a single hand operation. I’ll see how long that’ll last!
Anchor locker hatch completed shown with “old” original next to it….cockpit all new
IMG_1676.jpeg
IMG_1676.jpeg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
Attachments
IMG_1704.jpeg
IMG_1704.jpeg (96.4 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Sailing-61-North

Re: Deck non skid

Post by Sailing-61-North »

It sure beats mixing sand into paint. This will be my route (kiwi) once I get there.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

I did the 'sand in paint' thing on another boat; it was very effective, and very durable. One problem did arise, having applied it to the cockpit seats, in that it caused a lot of wear on my trousers, especially the waterproof ones. Proper fitted cushions would have been a good idea. I have TekDek, a synthetic plastic which has the look and texture of teak strips, throughout the cockpit area, and Treadmaster on the deck. So far, the TekDek is wearing well, looking good, and gives secure footing. I had shaped panels made up, and they are glued in place with a special adhesive, but it was easy for us to do it all ourselves.
dek.jpg
dek.jpg (567.43 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
This is the best view I have of it, about five years after being applied.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Camino

Post by Camino »

IMG_1131.jpeg
IMG_1131.jpeg (101.45 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Have 6 sections left - will hopefully do 2 tomorrow and then must wait a couple weeks Definitely a technique is involved to get the right texture - again a couple of sections were way too aggressive. When I’m done I’ll sand those tips off (no tapping off required) and lightly apply a top coat. I’m using a paint brush in one hand to spread the kiwi grip and then lightly roll it out with a 4” roller in the other hand and immediately pull the tape. Easy water clean up. I’m happy but miss sailing! And I missed the Delta Ditch Run race this year due to this… :twisted:

Castaway - Decks looks really good - did you specify the shapes and size and then you installed?
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

https://youtube.com/shorts/FTzlqsHXGRc?feature=share

Short video link of completed nonskid kiwigrip
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Hi Tom (& Stephanie),

Sorry for the late reply; was away, sailing to Finland.

I got the panels made up by the firm, who cut the material to form the edging – it comes in strips which are glued together – rounding over and mitreing the strip, so that what I got back was a single piece for each panel, and then I glued it in place.

The panels were made to the shape of templates I supplied, basically copies of the old Treadmaster non-slip which had been there before. If ever you should try this, make sure you do a template for each individual piece, and mark which way up it goes, since the two sides are not exactly symmetrical, at least on the UK mould used for the deck/coachroof on the Isle of Man!

I expect that your non-slip will last very well, so the problem should not arise! One nice thing about the TekDek is that, if it is scuffed or has superficial damage, it can be instantly remedied by sanding with coarse (80 grit) sandpaper. It's also very oil resistant, unlike teak!

I covered the side and fore decks with more Treadmaster, which is very durable. I bought the stuff in a roll, and cut it myself, using the same template method. There's a couple of pictures in a post about a leaking deck locker from a few weeks ago in 'Everything Else', or search my posts to see the result.

Best wishes,
Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland