Shore Power Receptacle - F32

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
murphy1jj

Shore Power Receptacle - F32

Post by murphy1jj »

The shore power (30amp) receptacle on my Freedom 32 only conducts power occasionally. It looks like the weight of the shore power cable has effected a tight connection. I tried removing the screws on the receptacle plate and they just spin, I'm guessing they have nuts on the back which complicates things as they are in a very hard to reach location on the transom, accessible only through the lazarette making it a two person job.
- Has anyone replaced one of these?
- Also has any one used a Smart Plug receptacle and cord?

Thanks,
John
John
ConNora Mae
84 F32 #65
Wrightsville Beach, NC

sforgey2

Re: Shore Power Receptacle - F32

Post by sforgey2 »

Mine actually had that problem on my last trip.

After freaking out and thinking the shore power generator wasn' working (or worse) I noticed that the connection just didn't work well, and often not at all. Bad connection.

I replaced the cord with one with a light and locking mechanism but didn't go the smart connection...used the Marineco EEL, which works well with the connections in the Bahamas. I didnt see the need to use the smart cord and connection when the EEL gives a pretty positive connection.

Changing out the cord made a big difference, and I swapped out the receptacle as well. It took something to remove it but now it all locs and connects - about $250 spent.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

I replaced the receptacle on my old boat with the same starboard 30A twist lock. If I were to do it again I would go with a smart plug. It is a much, much better design. I have only tried them out on a friend’s boat and at a boat show, but it is just a better design. But you will also have to replace or modify your power cord.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I replaced the yellow twist-lock plug/receptacle with a SmartPlug several years ago and love it. Much better connection, more secure, waterproof, etc. I love it. I just wish that the shore power end were as good.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org