Anemometer replacement recommendations wanted

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
Tmack

Anemometer replacement recommendations wanted

Post by Tmack »

Hi group,

Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement anemometer? Mine is missing cups and the unit is not connected to anything down below. My F32 is parked in the yard with the mast out. Perfect time to work on this. I am hoping to pull the data from a new unit into a boat monitoring system (homemade or commercial). I appreciate any input.

Thanks. Tom

mike cunningham

Re: Anemometer replacement recommendations wanted

Post by mike cunningham »

All I can say is anemometer's are equipped with stealth AI. When the anemometer knows you want good wind numbers it will stop working. It will start again when You no longer need the wind speed/direction. I have a Raymarine unit which is so equipped.

I have often wondered how those ultrasonic wind sensors work out.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Two summers ago I switched to a Garmin GNX 20/21 set of gauges for my F32. I am very pleased with them and being wireless from the anemometer to the head installation is very easy to install. Occasionally, as Mike Cunningham pointed out, I have had interruptions in readings, I'd say maybe 5 in the 2 summers of using them. The interruption lasted maybe 5 seconds if that, other than that they have been rock solid and the price was better than other manufacturers that I researched. Good luck in your search.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Camino

Post by Camino »

Good Post Mike :D I hear you.. All I can venture to add is with the movement in a seaway - what with the mast bounce and creak, etc., to explore that little junction box by the mast base - install a new one and add plenty of dialectic grease after super securing all connections. I've found that is a point of origin for plenty of gremlins :D

for what its worth only :)
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Tmack

Post by Tmack »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Look out for stealth AI and good advice on the gremlins. John I really like the idea of wireless anemometer data. The Garmin GNX looks pretty slick, I will be doing a lot of comparisons of units.

However, I'm also exploring open-source, low-power computer systems for data collection (as I have more programming skills than $).

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

How do the wireless instruments get power?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Camino

Post by Camino »

TackTick wireless unites - now owned by Raymarine state “Raymarine Wireless displays are solar powered with integrated lithium batteries that power the unit for life. Power consumption is so efficient that units can run autonomously for up to 300 hours“

I would like to hear how people like or not like these instruments...
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Hi Geoff, as Camino states there is a solar cell integrated into the masthead unit along with a lithium battery. I have yet to see any issues whatsoever with the charging, or the rest of the instrument system for that matter. Just be aware that there is recommended limit of mast height to head unit. This particular model may not work very well with masts a lot taller than the F32's depending on mounting of the head. With the issues I have experienced with other manufacture's devices, one in particular, I started choosing other alternatives when available. I find pricing is usually better as well as overall functionality.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

RichF28

Post by RichF28 »

Camino wrote:TackTick wireless unites - now owned by Raymarine state “Raymarine Wireless displays are solar powered with integrated lithium batteries that power the unit for life. Power consumption is so efficient that units can run autonomously for up to 300 hours“

I would like to hear how people like or not like these instruments...
I have one, I'm generally satisfied. Last year it quit reporting wind speed for a while. Then reported speed that was obviously too low. But this year seems to be back to normal. I guess procrastination has a place in the toolbox...... I'm guessing some seagull poop or a mudwasp got to it, and its finally washed off... But I really don't know.....
Freedom 28 sloop Hull #29