Structural issue

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
chandler

Structural issue

Post by chandler »

1985 Freedom 33 CK 6' draft. During haul out last week I noticed a flex along the keel above the ballast keel, hull a bit below the turn of the bilge. Does anyone have construction drawings for this part of the hull? Thanks, Chandler

Castaway

Re: Structural issue

Post by Castaway »

Is this the long keel hull, rather than the centreboard version?

When chocking the C/B hull, I have noticed slight flexing inboard the turn of the bilge, less than 2cm, and have regarded this as normal or, at least, acceptable. The internal ballast is around the C/B casing, glassed into the hull and extending outward about 40-50 cm, so there is unlikely to be flexing within that area, unless the balsa core is completely rotted. Worth checking the moisture readings, and also any history of damage. That's not likely to be the case if it is the same on each side.

When I had our hull epoxied, after the gel coat had been removed, the hull was transparent and it could be seen that the balsa core extended almost to what would be the garboard in a wooden boat (explains why these boats are so warm and dry, I think). Point loading on the hull when ashore could compress the core; large pads are advisable!

I don't have any information on the structure other than two cores taken when fitting through-hull pipes; the outer layer of fibreglass is about 6-7mm, the core about 20, the inner layer 4-5mm, from memory. The boat, and the cores, are all in another country.

Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

chandler

Re: Structural issue

Post by chandler »

I have a deep keel but the fact the core goes as far as it does is interesting, also point loads. I have no visible cracks or leaks so I don't know.