Cat Ketch Nav/Steaming/Anchor Lighting

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
Teke's Pride

Cat Ketch Nav/Steaming/Anchor Lighting

Post by Teke's Pride »

Hey all,

This is primarily aimed at past and present owners of the BIG ketches (39, 40 & 44) with equal height masts...

When I purchased my F40 AC CK back in September, the Starboard and Stern running lights were busted; the Steaming light was missing and, the Anchor light was not working. This month, in preparation for my April cruise from Pass Christian, MS on the Gulf Coast up the Tenn-Tom to Lake Guntersville on the Tennessee River in Alabama, I replaced the Bow Lights with a pulpit hung 2nm Combination light and, I also replaced the busted Stern light.

I believe the proper place for the Steaming light is halfway up the fore/mainmast but, I don't see any hanging wires there. I do, however, see wires hanging halfway up the front of the mizzen. I assume the mizzen wires are for a missing Deck light. Thoughts?

On Monday the 6th of February I sent the US Coast Guard an email asking for guidance concerning anchor light placement on a sailing vessel of <12m having two masts of equal height. Should the Anchor Light(s) be on the foremast, the mizzenmast or, on both? They have as yet not replied...

My current non-functioning Anchor light is on the mizzen but this just doesn't seem right to me as there is a blind area towards the bow. Alternatively, a single Anchor Light on the fore/mainmast would leave a blind spot to stern. I would greatly appreciate some guidance from the community if the Coast Guard can't seem to be bothered to reply.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

arrancomrades

Re: Cat Ketch Nav/Steaming/Anchor Lighting

Post by arrancomrades »

Hello,

I have a UK CK33/35 whose masts are nearly equal.

Basically it's impossible to site a light below masthead height that has 360 degree visibility, and some years ago, I put an LED all-round white on the front mast, BUT, I very nearly got run down in a very dark loch by a big black fishing boat - one of them that has no way of seeing out of the wheelhouse other than a very narrow horizontal arc, enough to tell if you're at sea or in harbour. Even if the skipper saw my light, it might easily have been taken for a celestial being, which is what I nearly became.

Much shouting by the crew in foreign tongues then mighty revs astern avoided sinking me. I was in a recognised anchoring spot which is also on the approach to a fisherman's pier.

So, anytime I'm in a similar situation, I hang at least one strobe light at about head height, just above the furled sails, hopefully flashing out to sea and never mind any damned fool regulations.

Good Luck.
Mike Johnston