Propeller options on a Freedom 32 (Hoyt)

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
JohnReinagel

Re: Propeller options on a Freedom 32 (Hoyt)

Post by JohnReinagel »

Hi Rodent, great thought, I appreciate it. Since the blades on the folding props actually sit about 4" more astern than the fixed prop blades, I have almost 4" between the blade tip and the hull.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

I looked into a flexifold prop last year. This is what they recommended for my F32.

With a Yanmar 3GM ( max. rated 22 hp / 3600 rpm, gear reduction ratio 1:2,61 ) we would recommend a 2-blade 16x12R propeller for your Freedom 32 Sail.

The price for a complete 2-blade 16x12R Flexofold with hub for ISO / SAE standard shaft is USD 1.215

Is this the same as they recommended for you?
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Yes that is the same they quoted and I purchased. I love how the boat moves with it, I just can't stand the vibration that started after mounting it. The same thing occurred last year. I installed the prop and there was much vibration so I had the marina haul me back out a few days later, removed the prop, double checked that it was mounted as per instructions, I also checked run out of the prop shaft, there was none, the cutless bearing was snug. I remounted the prop per their instructions, went back in the water but there was the same vibration so I had them pull me out again and put the fixed 3-blade back on for the remainder of the season. When the marina was taking me out for the winter their strap was caught in the 3-blade prop and bent it. I did not have it fixed so this spring I went through looking for issues related to vibrations again but everything checks out properly, so for now I have to live with the vibration. I'm not saying that you avoid their props, but I am saying that you may want to consider the action. Flex-O-Fold will not entertain the idea that any of their props could have some sort of manufacturing issues, even incidental issues.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

I’m pretty happy with the Maxprop on our F32. Seems very well engineered and has worked flawlessly.
I do grease it annually. Very simple.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

When getting ready to lift in spring and fall i put florescent zip ties in the toe rails marking the lift points. So far so good.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

I will be looking at propellor options for my Freedom since I have to repower.

I reviewed suggestions here.

Seems like there were issues with the flexfold.

Did those get resolved?

Also, which Maxprop did anyone end up using.

Thx
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

FWIW,
I got a slipstream stainless 2 bladed folding prop recently. I had a fixed 2 blade prop. I like the new one better seems in my limited experince it does seem to back better. I can not really discern a difference in forward. Seems to work fine in my limited experience.

Mark K.

Post by Mark K. »

Regarding other low cost options, I am a big fan of the Campbell sailor propeller and have purchased my second after I bought my Freedom 35' which came with a worn out factory Max prop. Practical sailor's testing reflects my experience with these Campbell Sailors which is that they have a high thrust under forward power, improved reverse thrust (but not as good as a Max prop) and low drag under sail. For me, having the reliability and durability of a fixed prop with NO moving parts underwater to wear out is more important that a small amount of drag under sail (which I can barely notice).
It is surprising how much more forward and reverse thrust the Campbell has compared to a Michigan Wheel of the same diameter and pitch.
If you decide to go with a folding prop I would shy away from the Max prop which has gaps between the leading edge of the blade and the hub which make them vulnerable to catching and dragging seaweed and fishing line in the gap.

If anyone on this list would like to look at my set up I am hauled out for the winter in Salem, MA.
Mark K
S/V Encore
Freedom 35'

https://westbynorth.com/campbell-sailer/