Propeller options on a Freedom 32 (Hoyt)

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system

Re: Propeller options on a Freedom 32 (Hoyt)

Postby JohnReinagel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:05 am

Hi Rodent, great thought, I appreciate it. Since the blades on the folding props actually sit about 4" more astern than the fixed prop blades, I have almost 4" between the blade tip and the hull.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53
JohnReinagel

Postby Grimsby_Alan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:01 pm

I looked into a flexifold prop last year. This is what they recommended for my F32.

With a Yanmar 3GM ( max. rated 22 hp / 3600 rpm, gear reduction ratio 1:2,61 ) we would recommend a 2-blade 16x12R propeller for your Freedom 32 Sail.

The price for a complete 2-blade 16x12R Flexofold with hub for ISO / SAE standard shaft is USD 1.215

Is this the same as they recommended for you?
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario
Grimsby_Alan

Postby JohnReinagel » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:29 am

Yes that is the same they quoted and I purchased. I love how the boat moves with it, I just can't stand the vibration that started after mounting it. The same thing occurred last year. I installed the prop and there was much vibration so I had the marina haul me back out a few days later, removed the prop, double checked that it was mounted as per instructions, I also checked run out of the prop shaft, there was none, the cutless bearing was snug. I remounted the prop per their instructions, went back in the water but there was the same vibration so I had them pull me out again and put the fixed 3-blade back on for the remainder of the season. When the marina was taking me out for the winter their strap was caught in the 3-blade prop and bent it. I did not have it fixed so this spring I went through looking for issues related to vibrations again but everything checks out properly, so for now I have to live with the vibration. I'm not saying that you avoid their props, but I am saying that you may want to consider the action. Flex-O-Fold will not entertain the idea that any of their props could have some sort of manufacturing issues, even incidental issues.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53
JohnReinagel

Postby F32Circle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:10 am

I’m pretty happy with the Maxprop on our F32. Seems very well engineered and has worked flawlessly.
I do grease it annually. Very simple.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost
F32Circle

Postby Grimsby_Alan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:12 pm

When getting ready to lift in spring and fall i put florescent zip ties in the toe rails marking the lift points. So far so good.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario
Grimsby_Alan

Previous

Return to Engines and Mechanical Systems