Water collecting under engine f28

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
inevitablef28

Water collecting under engine f28

Post by inevitablef28 »

Been in the water for a month. After shake down cruise there was a little bit of water that collected just below and forward of the engine (directly under stairs to cockpit). I figured this was happening while the engine was in use so I tightened the two hose clamps on the through-hull intake and sponged up the water. Then when I got on board a week later there was water at the same location again. The water appears to be clean (ie no antifreeze or other material in it) but obviously this is happened while the engine was not running.

Any thoughts?

This is a new problem.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

VeloFellow

Re: Water collecting under engine f28

Post by VeloFellow »

I noticed water after our last sail. Most after five months. And then I remembered. 20 lbs of ice became....clean bilge water?
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

SailRI

Re: Water collecting under engine f28

Post by SailRI »

my water pump impeller finally went bad (2GM20F), then engine over heated, and the mixing elbow (fiberglass 90 deg) developed a hole and it leaked sea water below the engine.
Not sure when it really happened (could of been a long time ago before i owned the boat) but i noticed water there a year ago and could not find the source (thought it was the water pump).

Since the engine takes quite a while to get to temperature, it was probably running on reduced cooling water for some time, also sea water temperature will determine the over heat time. just going from / to the mooring was not enough to trip the over temp condition.