Norscott Shaft seal

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
bobr

Norscott Shaft seal

Post by bobr »

It uses automatic transmission fluid unlike PSS and similar seals. And mine is using too much.

Here is an email I sent to the manufacturer. I'll share any reply. Appreciate any feedback from other users:

I have one of your seals on my 1995 Freedom 35. A one inch shaft. I just bought the boat last year and have no idea of the age of the unit.

It uses a lot more ATF fluid than the one inch per 100 hours mentioned as being normal on the website. My guess is it drains the reservoir every 50 hours. It was low when I bought the boat so this condition may have existed for quite some time.

The seal does not leak water. Based on the FAQ on the website that leads me to believe there may be a nick in the shaft where the front seal is installed. It mentions relocating the unit by 1/8" on the shaft as a possible cure.

How would I do this? Just loosen up the hose clamps and move the whole assembly on the shaft while the boat is in the water? Or pull the boat and shaft and reinstall in a different location?

BTW I have never burped the seal as recommended as I just saw that advice on the website.

Thanks for any input or advice.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

lewharve

Re: Norscott Shaft seal

Post by lewharve »

It sounds expensive

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

When I was researching a replacement for the Syntron I talked to a guy at Norscott. Seemed to be pretty knowledgeable and was willing to discuss the seal at length. Maybe you should call them directly. Some folks will talk up a storm but won't write an e-mail worth a damn.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

bobr

Post by bobr »

Thanks Mike.

Do you remember if the guy's name was Ron?
Bob R.
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I just went through replacing the 1" Norscott seal on my 1986 F-30.

My boat had a Norscott seal installed when I bought her and I have recommended them to others on this list. But a bit of the ATM fluid began leaking into the boat through the forward seal. I had her hauled out 2-years ago and asked to have the Norscott replaced as one of the items. Instead of replacing the seal the yard decided to rebuild the existing seal. The rebuilt seal seemed to work for 18 months but, even though no fluid leaked into the boat the level went down more than before. I followed Norscott's recommendations and moved the seal about 1/8" to try to improve things. Thee fluid leaked out (of the boat) even faster than before. The Norscott rep told me that the rebuild was probably not done right and the retainer was not properly installed at the aft end.

I no longer think the Norscott is a good solution.

I had the boat hauled out in July to replace the failed seal and bought a new Norscott to have the yard install but thought better of it and ordered a modified Tides Marine seal from Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks. It cost a bit less than the Norscott but the determining factor wa the elimination of leaking ATM fluid.

Just finished a month long cruise without any problem with the new seal.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

bobr

Post by bobr »

Thanks for your reply.

Did you move the seal on the shaft with the boat in the water or hauled?
Bob R.
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Moved the seal while in the water. Loosened the hose clamps on the shaft seal hose at the aft end (just like bleeding), moved the whole assembly hose and all and then tightened down the hose clamps. Very little water to deal with.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA