Pedrick F35 rudder bearings....

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
FreeB

Pedrick F35 rudder bearings....

Post by FreeB »

Anyone have any photos or assembly drawings of the rudder-post-bearings setup for a Freedom 35, mid 90's vintage? Appreciate any help you can provide.

bobr

Re: Pedrick F35 rudder bearings....

Post by bobr »

I'm not sure if it is in the owner's manual, and mine is on the boat, asleep for the winter.

If you do not have access to the manual I'd be happy to check it, but it may be a while.....let me know.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Attempting to attach schematic from manual.
Attachments
F35 Rudder.jpg
F35 Rudder.jpg (192.47 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Sorry to be late on replying to your email. Holidays and finding the pictures slowed down the process.
Tides Marine makes the rudder bearing. Give them your year and model and they will guide you to the proper size.
A couple of years ago, I towed a lobster bouy overnight caught on the rudder post while sailing to Maine. (I was doing 5+ in 12k of wind. I was happy.) I ended up having to replace the bearing. Tides was out of the model. I was at a good yard that had a machine shop. (Name of the yard is withheld for reasons you will see.) They made a replacement bearing to Tides specs.
copy of Tides bearing.jpg
copy of Tides bearing.jpg (7.65 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
Rudder reinstalled. Once in the water, I found the rudder was hitting the bottom of the boat when I turned. A collar was crafted that could be installed without pulling the rudder again.
collar prepped.jpg
collar prepped.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
(I did have to pay for a second lift even though their work allowed the rudder to hit.) I've seen similar collars on other Freedoms.
collar installed 1.jpg
collar installed 1.jpg (7.27 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
Best of luck.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

SteveMamaroneck

Post by SteveMamaroneck »

Stephen,

My F35 is having to have the rudder bearing replaced. I have reached out to Tides Marine, who is mentioned in the post and they recommended to make a new part. My question is if you had dimensions for the collar? My guess is that installing a new bearing may result in the same rub on the hull and perhaps I just have them make a collar. Please let me know as that may save some guess and hauling work. Thanks,

Steve
F35 Hull 30
Steve and Angela
Shooting Star F 35 (P)
1994 Wing Keel 4.5’
3GM30F
Mamaroneck, NY

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Steve,
I've learned since then that this was the wrong approach. There should be two rudder bearings installed on the rudder post. This should prevent the rudder from hitting. This should eliminate the need for the collar that I now live with. I was misguided by the head mechanic at a major boat yard in Rockland, ME.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

And I have no idea of the dimensions. Sorry. Tides Marine should have the dimensions of the bearing.
Best of luck.
Stephen
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick