shifting between reverse and forward

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
SVBAGATELLE

shifting between reverse and forward

Post by SVBAGATELLE »

On my new (to me) F25, I have a Yanmar 1GM and a dual action engine control (side mounted, above the cockpit floor). I don't know who made the engine control, and I have no documentation for it. I have examined and lubricated it, and it seems to be working ok: with the button pulled out, the engine revs can be adjusted without being in gear. With the button pushed in, the control lever both shifts into forward and increases engine revs (if pushed forward) or does that in reverse (if pulled back). However, after backing out of my slip, I was unable to get the gear out of reverse, and conversely when coming back I wouldn't get it out of forward gear. I wonder if there is something I am not doing right--probably obvious. When going from forward to reverse, or vice versa, does the button need to be pulled out, to disengage the gear, and then pushed back in again? Or should it be left in and the lever simply pushed through the neutral position? And perhaps I am not moving the shift lever far enough forward (or back) to engage the gear? I fear getting the revs up in case I can't get it out of gear afterward!
Any advice or documentation would be welcome.
I am considering replacing the engine control with a SeaStar CH2100P unit, also a dual action mechanical engine control, which hopefully I can install with the existing cables.

RonR

Re: shifting between reverse and forward

Post by RonR »

I don't know if the control on my boat is the same, but it sounds as if it works the same way. If so, you should not need to pull the button out again unless you want to use the throttle independent of being in gear. I need to be in neutral- lever straight up- in order to pull the button out. Just pulling the lever through neutral and into another gear should work to change from forward to reverse and back. In my case gear is determined only by lever position, and I can definitely hear and feel the trans shift. I can put it barely into reverse and shift to forward with no problem.

Are you unable to move the lever, or does the transmission just not shift? I'd check to see all is well at the transmission cable end- maybe some slipping?

As far as fears of increasing the revs, run them up while tied to the dock- you won't run the risk of hitting anything and you can shift back and forth as much as you want. Look at what happens at the transmission while shifting (or failing to shift).

SVBAGATELLE

Post by SVBAGATELLE »

thanks for that, in particular that I should just leave the gear button in. I think that was my mistake.

bad

Post by bad »

On the single lever dual action Vetus control you push in the central button to avoid the transmission from engaging but still being able to increase revs. During normal operations you just move the lever fore and aft through neutral/idle to change gears. This prevents shifting at high revs as can happen with a two lever control. Engine revs should not change until the transmission engages, else your cables are not adjusted correctly.

I just got done installing a Vetus control. https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/prod ... i-316.html. I like the aesthetics better than the SeaStar.

Erik