Mast track for F30

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
SVBAGATELLE

Mast track for F30

Post by SVBAGATELLE »

I need to replace about 5 feet of mast track. Does anyone know the manufacturer of the standard Freedom 30 mast track, its dimensions and who might sell a similar track?
BTW I have built a sleeve out of carbon around a pvc pipe, about 3/8" thick (like the mast) and 4 feet long, that I intend to use with West 610 adhesive to glue the 2 pieces of my mast, and the sleeve, together.
Paul
F 30 "Bagatelle", Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas

Salacia

Re: Mast track for F30

Post by Salacia »

Many years ago, I had a Mull 30. It was our second Freedom after owning a 25 and cruising the coast of Maine in it. I remember asking this question of Mark Edwards several years after Freedom closed and he was working as a yacht broker. (And still is!) He immediately said "Yours is a MetalMast 30." Didn't need to look it up or hesitate for a moment.
RigRite now distributes their stock.
https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/MetalMast ... _Gates.php
Best of luck.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

SVBAGATELLE

Re: Mast track for F30

Post by SVBAGATELLE »

I have decided to install a Tides Marine mast track instead, since it does not have to be supported for its full length. I am told that the greater stresses are exerted at the middle and upper part of the mast. Putting a few screws into the mast to support the track at its lower end, where I am missing the original track, is sufficient. The people at Tides Marine are easy to deal with and the price is reasonable: $29 per foot including all hardware. Their batten slides fit into the 10mm threads on my Mack Sails batten pockets.
Rigrite quoted me a ridiculous price to replace the section of track--$700! For $1100, I got a new track which will make raising and lowering the main much easier.
I have completed the repair of the mast with the sleeve and am waiting to get the mast repainted before installing the mast track. I have also replaced the masthead fittings, including a new Windex and an AquaSignal LED anchor/running light, as well as running new wiring to the lights and coax to the VHF antenna.