F21 outboard motors

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
chadrider

Re: F21 outboard motors

Post by chadrider »

Newt,
On the day of the best experience,I would estimate 15+ true with more in gusts got the boat so I was having loong surfs down slightly oblique waves. Blasting along the Connecticut shore from Greenwich to New Haven (ENE), about 1kt of current with me, 15kts of wind from the WSW, we averaged nearly 8kts. That means the boat was over 7kts a lot of the time. The rudder was humming the whole time. I would soak down in the puffs and keep it surfing by tightening up in the lulls. It was a great ride! It all got interrupted by a huge thunderstorm just off New Haven.
Hkowalczyk,
Yeah, that figures. I look at the prop on a Torqueedo and think "oooh, I want one of those!" but I think the rev range on those is much lower. I remember the 4 bladed paddles that old Seagull motors used to have. Those things were about 4HP, cranky, stinky and could push a small house! That Sailmaster will buck the tide!
Chad Rider
Rumford, RI

Freedom 21 "Frisson"
1984, Deep Keel, Gunmount.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Have the 4HP Honda on mine; more power than I have ever needed, but I wouldn't take this boat out in severe weather, nor so far off that I might get caught out. For close inshore, fair weather sailing, I reckon a 2HP auxiliary would do, and the difference in weight would make it much easier to unship. Handling 25kg over the stern is quite challenging, and mounting it whilst on the trailer overbalances the whole thing without the mast stepped.
If I want to be offshore, I go in our F35; interestingly, I can get 2+ knots using the dinghy lashed alongside with a Honda 2.2 HP in calm waters when the propeller falls off that one.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Castaway, hope you don't make a habit of loosing your prop, could be expensive. I have a cheap electric trolling motor as a backup on my F21, probably 1.5-2hp. That brought me home when the Mariner packed up but I struggled to get 3 knts from it. Wouldn't you believe it though. The circuit breaker tripped a couple of times before failing completely. Had to bypass it to get home.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Castaway, hope you don't make a habit of loosing your prop, could be expensive.
It's only happened twice! Both times in the same bit of Eastern Norway, though 7 years apart. We got to know the local boatyard quite well. I have dined out on whole sorry story.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland