Yanmar maintenance

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Camino

Yanmar maintenance

Post by Camino »

Update on near winter projects :D last week did 3gm30f maintenance- oil filter, 2 fuel filters, air filter, impeller- all good but noticed a slight amount of fuel below engine. Today went back cause I couldn’t sleep thinking about the fuel drops below motor! Unthreaded and reattached the bolt on motor fuel filter - thought the o ring might be not right. Adjusted the o ring still a slight drip of fuel. Turns out the bleeder bolt there was stripped. Went to Kkmi boat yard and bought a whole new fuel filter bolt on unit at $67.00. What a deal! All good to go now. Removed the Lewmar coastline 10 hatch above the galley (sever crazing) and will send that in for renewal tomorrow for a good price (Hatchmasters). Bottom job soon.
FBF886F8-8192-47BB-8018-D999791E87BC.jpeg
FBF886F8-8192-47BB-8018-D999791E87BC.jpeg (77.33 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Pearce

Re: Yanmar maintenance

Post by Pearce »

So what are you plans for the bottom? Do you need to sand or strip or just need a new Costner? What kind of paint ?

Good to see fuel leak resolved. I have plans to do fuel filters for first time in spring.
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

Camino

Post by Camino »

My system is pretty easy with fuel - I have a ball valve for fuel shut off next to the raycor (another one is by fuel tank) mounted on engine bulkhead. Once the 2 fuel filters are changed, make sure there is a spongy feeling the bottom third of the stroke when the lift pump lever is pressed - if not, open the two compression levers on top of the motor and grab the main belt and pull to rotate the cylinders a bit, try the lift lump and keep doing that until that spongy feeling. Open the first bleeder screw on top of the bolt on filter unit a bit and pump. Fuel will bubble out and then flow from the screw. Close the screw. Use a larger Phillips head screw driver to slight,y open the second bleeder screw and repeat. Be sure to close the 2 compression levers. All good

I’ll have the yard sand and I’ll paint Trinidad Pro ablative 1-2 coats myself, after taping off. I also have the head water intake marelon valve to replace for a previous error I did.

Good luck with yours.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

Great advice on fun with fuel filters. Would you consider coming to the Virtual raftup to share your story?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13215
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Not sure what my story is. I may be around on the boat then but it’s too hard to say. Let’s see
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA