Apparent short on starting

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
jamesorr

Apparent short on starting

Post by jamesorr »

I have a Freedom 32 (Mull), which has lately developed an apparent short on attempting to start the engine -- but typically only on restart after either running or sailing some distance. In the morning at the slip, seems to work fine, press the starter button, engine turns over and starts normally. However, if attempting to start the engine after sailing, it now typically does not turn over the engine on the first or second attempt on pushing the starter button, but does turn over and start the engine on the 3rd or 4th time pushing the starter button. When this occurs, I have also noted that my electronics also restart, which leaves me to believe that I might be seeing a short somewhere on the 12V circuit (starter going bad?). This occurs even when both house/starter batteries have plenty of available charge. Anyone seen this behavior before? Any relevant diagnostic steps one might suggest?

I plan on adding a dedicated starter battery to my system next season, but would really like to get to the root of this new issue (previously only saw this when my house batteries had been low on charge, due to sailing overnights/off the "grid" for an extended period of time). The good thing is that on the 3rd or 4th attempt on on attempting to start, it does turn over and run -- but something must be gong on here to see this behavior, and would hate to see the problem further degrade.

Thanks for any wisdom or insight.

-Jim
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY

mike cunningham

Re: Apparent short on starting

Post by mike cunningham »

Jim,

You will probably get several responses on this. The poor performance of the start button is a common problem on the F30. I assume your 32 is the extended F30?

The problem is often related to the sizing of the wiring connecting the switch to the start solenoid. In my case this was compounded by poor connections in the extension cable which was installed to accomplish the engine wiring run from the panel to the motor. There is a six(is) foot extension cable with a multi prong connector either end. On my 1986 vintage F30 those connectors were 34 years old when I finally ripped them out and connected the cables permanently using sealed butt joints. Of course these connectors started acting up when I was a thousand miles offshore returning the boat to SF from Hawaii and motoring through the Pac High...Typical.

Some folks have rewired the switch directly to the solenoid using larger wire. On my boat there was small gauge wire connecting the button to the OEM wiring harness which then connected to the extension cable etc. Since the OEM harness wiring looked to be of sufficient capacity, I simply replaced this single short wire with lower gauge (bigger) wire and problem immediately solved. It is a pretty easy fix. I found my switch to be similarly intermittent. Sometimes first push sometimes three or four pushes. This has gone away completely after the aforementioned mods.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

walterg

Post by walterg »

This is great info to zero me in on the same problem I have with my F28. Thank you Mike!
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

jamesorr

Post by jamesorr »

Very much agree -- very helpful insight -- and I will definitely add this "fix" to my re-commissioning tasks for the spring (I do have the "stretched" F30, i.e. sugar scoop, so 1988 F32)
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY