Repower time - Freedom 32 Yanmar

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
sforgey2

Repower time - Freedom 32 Yanmar

Post by sforgey2 »

It seems that it is time to repower my Freedom 32 as the Yanmar has finally ended its useful career. The 3GMF is getting hard to find parts for.

I am probably going to move to the newest Yanmar of similar size.

Any suggestions? Things I should know or watch out for? Advice in this? Same shaft and prop?

How long does it take? Costs?

I had thought about going total electrical, but it doesn't seem quite practical for me, even though I am in Florida, the sunshine state.

Thanks,
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

bobr

Re: Repower time - Freedom 32 Yanmar

Post by bobr »

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear about your 3GMF, and surprised you are having trouble finding parts. I guess I've been lucky so far, I've only needed maintenance items, nothing major.

Several folks who have re-powered in my area have gone with Beta Marine, and they seem happy. Might be worth looking into.

Good luck!
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

Hi,

I have the same motor and have been able to find anything I need either locally or online. Agree that yanmar parts are never cheap. But if I were forced to repower researching a Beta would be the first option. Electric Is getting better all the time but not sure it worth it quite yet. The repower v rebuild question is an interesting conundrum. Will be curious how this turns out.

Http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catal ... operators=
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

My vote is to repower with the current model Yanmar, for two reasons:

1. Despite having the most expensive parts, Yanmar makes the best marine diesel engines. Ask any marine diesel mechanic and they’ll tell you the same thing: they just run.

2. The engine mounts are in the exact same place as the 3GM30, as is the transmission coupling to the shaft, so no surgery is required.

I installed a new 3YM30AE in my boat in 2018, and it’s run flawlessly ever since. The additional torque and horsepower are nice, but it’s really the peace of mind that’s made it so worthwhile.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

andygc

Post by andygc »

RadioZephyr wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:47 pm
Yanmar makes the best marine diesel engines. Ask any marine diesel mechanic and they’ll tell you the same thing: they just run.
That's a rather sweeping statement. The one I asked recommended Beta for the quality and reliability of the engines the company produces and the excellent after-sales service provided to owners. I've experience of a Yanmar GM10 - noisy and lots of vibration - but it's a single cylinder. I've also experience of several Betas and I wouldn't hesitate to fit another. Like most diesels, they just run.
Sold for health reasons :(

arrancomrades

Post by arrancomrades »

The key to it to take all winter. You will save up to 30% of the cost by taking it slowly.

Measure twice, thrice, four times, check catalogues, talk to folks. You can do it yourself, except the lift out/in which needs a crane, but not a big one. A chain block between the hook and the engine is a good idea. Try for an engine or a wee stand that allows the engine to sit on it's backside in the cabin. Once it's in the cabin, look at a means to move it on/off the beds as you'll likely do this more than once unless it's an perfect shoe-in for the old one - and don't trust what's in the manuals re dimensions.

In UK, Beta would be a no-brainer.
Mike Johnston

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

Scott, to help those of still trying to get by, could you share what event or concern triggered your decision to replace the 3GMF? How many hours on the engine? Any rebuilds? What repairs or replacements have you had to make?

In other words, how will I know when it’s time?

Thanks,
Dale
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

I'm in the same boat :P . Working on a new quote from California for a Beta-30 plus shipping to Alaska. Pain in the butt getting Yanmar parts up here. It will be a summer project if it happens. When I find my old quote I will post along with the new one. Curious how much it has gone up in 1 year due to all the issues.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Thanks for the question.

Mine doesn't have an hour meter - so no idea on that.

I have swapped out the water pump, heat exchanger, mixing elbow (of course) and it seemed to run fine for a while. Lately it got harder to start, ran with lots of smoke at high levels. The mechanic said it has lost a lot of compression.

Last week it wouldn't turn let alone start. So given the inherent unreliability - it is time to go new rather than throw more at costly repairs.

That was my thinking anyway. I am about to move back home to Ft Lauderdale from my stint in Silicon Valley and will be using it a lot - really need reliability.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Here is my quote. Does not show 15% off. I will work on size regarding existing prop, prop space available and the actual opening of the current engine space.
Attachments
14 - 38 Engine Pricing 2021 Rev C.pdf
(556.81 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska