Freedom sail replacement Is there a consensus is there a consensus

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
gulfcoastsailor

Freedom sail replacement Is there a consensus is there a consensus

Post by gulfcoastsailor »

Is there a consensus on the best loft for FREEDOM sails? Thanks in advance for any assistance but I’m not holding my breath.
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72

walterg

Re: Freedom sail replacement Is there a consensus is there a consensus

Post by walterg »

I went to Thurston Sails (Quantum) in Bristol RI and am very happy with the sails they made for my F28. They are very familiar with Freedoms.
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

I replaced both with Precision Sails. Still sitting in the bags. Next week I will put the up. The concept was not new to them yet I went single ply with them being laced to the mast and more roach up high. See how it works once the snow melts, new beta 25 shows up and move the boat from dry storage.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

gulfcoastsailor

Thanks guys. I appreciate both replies greatly!
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72

jlodolce

Post by jlodolce »

I believe Quantum bought out the company that made the original Freedom sails and have the original patterns and make a lot of freedom replacements. I had mine made one year ago by Quantum in Rochester New York and are very happy with them. What a tremendous difference the new sales made compared to the old stretched ones
Jim Lo Dolce
Lo Dolce Vita VII
Freedom 40/40 #16 1995
Sackets Harbor, NY (Lake Ontario)

WhitherBound

Post by WhitherBound »

I am interested in this, too. Sails are probably the most pressing issue for me right now. I am on an original set, 20-30 years old and needing replacement. I am hearing quantum may be the loft of choice. Do you think it makes a difference which Quantum location? I need to get these to the British Virgin Islands. There is a Quantum loft in Tortola although I'm really wondering if they can produce a new set there. My guess is they produce dinghy sails and do repairs locally although it never hurts to ask.
Whither Bound
Freedom 45 CC #52
Virgin Gorda, BVI

gulfcoastsailor

Not from sailing so much but just from life… If I am recommended an individual or a particular shop that’s what I’m going to use. Just because there might be another shop with the same brand down the street I don’t want know what kind of work they do. Make sense?
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72