Prop Suggestions for 28M

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
F32Circle

Re: Prop Suggestions for 28M

Post by F32Circle »

Mark, your prop looks so beautifully clean. Wish mine were likewise. I’ve had disappointing experience with Pettit’s sink prop paint. What do you use, and how?
Thanks
Dale
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

One other advantage that came to me about the max prop is the outstanding performance in reverse. The blades go into a much more optimal position when reversing than a fixed prop, and the result is that you can really feel it bite when backing down. A couple seasons ago I was operating a friend's F38 that has a fixed 3-blade prop, and when I shifted into reverse and hit the throttle the response was much "mushier" than I was used to. There was a considerable delay before the boat did what I expected it to do. I'm sure that with some experience this difference could be completely accounted for and anticipated, and an operator would have no trouble docking the boat in the same distance. Still, I really like having that kind of stopping power in my arsenal. It makes the boat feel tight and responsive when maneuvering.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

SunnyIsleMark

Post by SunnyIsleMark »

F32Circle wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:11 am
Mark, your prop looks so beautifully clean. Wish mine were likewise. I’ve had disappointing experience with Pettit’s sink prop paint. What do you use, and how?
Thanks
Dale
Hi Dale- This was done by the yard shortly before I purchased the boat. The bottom paint was Micron CSC. The prop paint isn’t listed but it sure looks like it was Pettit zinc spray. I know that has a history of clogged nozzles but it seems to have kept growth off for at least this season…
Mark

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

Thanks Mark. With no better prop protection alternatives simple and inexpensive enough for me to try, I’ll probably give Pettit another chance. Reluctantly.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

Clemson

Post by Clemson »

Appeal to Heaven was hauled out last week and I found four tip of finger sized barnacles on the prop. I think that may have been the problem. It seems like their are lots of up votes for the Maxi-prop, so I will lubricate , check the pitch, and zinc paint it in the spring. Then I will make sure to keep it brushed off with some summer swimming.
Thanks for all of the input.

seadago

Post by seadago »

When I was struggling to find the answer to the same question I found this article and the charts it contains useful.

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/fo ... test-29807

Cheers
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop