Fuel Water Separator F32

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
sforgey2

Fuel Water Separator F32

Post by sforgey2 »

Looking for suggestions/recommendations.

My original Racor Fuel/water separator has now lost the bottom part of the bowl. I had to loosen the screw and let out water today - was not a fun chore, I still smell of diesel fuel and disappointment. Cant believe the mechanic didn't exactly tighten down the fuel inlet cover, letting some water past the gasket...but there you have it.

The new Yanmar is running fine, but it is time to replace this filter mechanism.

What is the right one to buy and install? There seem to be so many new Racor models to choose from.

Getting fuel in the Bahamas is always asking for water and sludge - so it is a critical piece of the fuel system. I likewise use a filter on the way into the boat...but any water plus lovely warm temps = bugs and sludge.

Any ideas? Recommendations?

Thanks
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

Mark K.

Re: Fuel Water Separator F32

Post by Mark K. »

On the fuel fill for the fuel tank (usually on deck somewhere) there should be a fuel cap with an O-ring seal. All boat owners should inspect this annually and replace the O-ring when it shows sign of wear (normally 2-3 years). This is the #1 way that water enters into the fuel tank.

I have dual Racor 500 series that have a diverter valve so if one filter clogs I can easily turn the lever and have a fresh filter to continue running on. Although these Racor's work well, they are tedious to clean properly and I hope to replace this setup with a dual spin-on canister style filter. I haven't found this type of setup yet and may have to build it the way I want it. I will publish in this forum when I get it figured out.

Also it might be a good investment in preventative maintenance to have the fuel tank professionally cleaned. You may be able to find a local "Fuel Polisher" to come to the boat and flush all the gunk and water out of the fuel tank.

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Thanks so much.

I love the idea of dual separators as I have had to swap out dirty filters while at sea, usually on the way back from the Bahamas.

I am in Ft Lauderdale, the self proclaimed "Venice of America" and it is pretty easy to find all sorts of services - sounds like it is time to have fuel tank cleaned out as I install new filter system.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

If there's one thing you should have on your Racor, it's a vacuum gauge. That will show you if there's a problem way before it becomes one. As nice as a dual filter setup is, I've never had a need to swap fuel filters underway, and BlueJacket's motor has 5500+ hours on it.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org