f25 boom pin size and mast wedge

Cedric

f25 boom pin size and mast wedge

Post by Cedric »

Hi everyone,
We put the boat in the water last Wednesday and the yard put back the mast in place while I was at work. Unfortunately, I feel they did a fast job and I am having some issues now.

I notice that the mast is loose right now. They haven't put back the L-shaped bracket. I do have the bracket so it might be easy to lift the mast with 2 people and sit it on 2 pieces of wood the time I install the bracket in place (there are nuts on the bolts that has to be screw inside the mast).

I guess there was a wedge around the mast but there is nothing right now and the mast keeps banging on the deck. Would it be safe to put some pine wood wedge around and put a boot over them? (Carbon, round mast)

Finally, last season I left the boom pin on the mast to make sure I don't lose it. Well, I guess they took it out because it is missing now. Any idea of the diameter and length I need? I'm not at the marina now and I can't measure it.

Thank you very much!! :)

unfetteredalexandria

Re: f25 boom pin size and mast wedge

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

The F25Manual.pdf, which you can get here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10100, if you don't have it, shows a 3/16" mast wedge on pp.12-13. I definitely have one in my boat, which might be the original from 1984. If yours has gone missing, there is a product from SparTite ("Spartite 2000 Mast Wedge") that might work as a replacement.

I got a replacement boom pin this past spring when someone noticed the original had some significant wear. They made me a new one out of 1/4" stainless bolt with long enough grip length to extend all the way through the gooseneck fitting; something like 3" grip length. Just cut off the threaded part, and drilled a hole through the end for the cotter pin.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

There is also some good info on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=13338
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

Cedric

Post by Cedric »

unfetteredalexandria wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:14 am
The F25Manual.pdf, which you can get here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10100, if you don't have it, shows a 3/16" mast wedge on pp.12-13. I definitely have one in my boat, which might be the original from 1984. If yours has gone missing, there is a product from SparTite ("Spartite 2000 Mast Wedge") that might work as a replacement.

I got a replacement boom pin this past spring when someone noticed the original had some significant wear. They made me a new one out of 1/4" stainless bolt with long enough grip length to extend all the way through the gooseneck fitting; something like 3" grip length. Just cut off the threaded part, and drilled a hole through the end for the cotter pin.
Thank you very much. I will look again, but I am pretty sure the wedge is not on the boat as I was looking for it last time. I saw the Spartite option, but I do wonder if the idea with pine wood wedge would be a viable option since it would be like 229$ cheaper...

For the pin, perfect, I'll get a 3" stainless bolt on my way to the marina this week.