Boom with sails down - F21

speee

Boom with sails down - F21

Post by speee »

I have just bought a Freedom 21 in Germany and wonder, what happens to the boom after the mainsail has been pulled down? Will it be held by the lazy jacks or will the boom be lowered down on to the deck or sprayhood (dodger)? I wonder because there is no boomholder (topping lift) coming down from the mast top as it usually works on other rigs. Thanks for your help!

peer

hxschiller

Re: Boom with sails down - F21

Post by hxschiller »

On my Freedom 25, and now my 28-footer, I use the main halyard routed to the clew end fitting as a boom support. This holds the boom in position after I tighten the mainsheet. This also serves to keep the halyard away from the mast to prevent slapping.
Using the mainsheet traveler, you can then move the entire boom and sails away from the side of the boat that you use to get on board. Herm

N1YDY

Re: Boom with sails down - F21

Post by N1YDY »

Hello and congratulations on acquiring a great boat!

On my f21 the lazyjacks hold the boom up whilst i fix the sailcover. Then I run the main haulyard aft to a bail on the end of the boom, and tension it so that the combination of the haulyard,the mainsheet and the traveler prevent the boom from flopping around. Good luck with your new boat

Hank