Mast Noise

Tom

Mast Noise

Post by Tom »

I have a PHS 39 s/n 15 and am in the process of getting to know the boat and repairing/replacing as necessary. This past weekend we were out in some heavy weather and the mast begin to sound like a drum with the cables inside beating against it. Does the mast have a conduit or the cables (coax and others) just dropped down the open mast?

Thanks,
Tom

marno

Re: Mast Noise

Post by marno »

There was no conduit in mine, just the remains of some foam type material that had been wrapped around it (most of which had turned to powder at the bottom of the mast. I had my main mast out recently and pulled all the wires while I had the chance. When I reinstalled them, I star tied cable ties around them every 3-4 feet. We have had a couple of blows here in the marina which normally would have had the old system clanging and it has been quiet, so it is a definite improvement. If I remember, I'll let you know what I think after a sail.
Cya
Marno

F39 Express

Tom

Re: Mast Noise

Post by Tom »

marno wrote:There was no conduit in mine, just the remains of some foam type material that had been wrapped around it (most of which had turned to powder at the bottom of the mast. I had my main mast out recently and pulled all the wires while I had the chance. When I reinstalled them, I star tied cable ties around them every 3-4 feet. We have had a couple of blows here in the marina which normally would have had the old system clanging and it has been quiet, so it is a definite improvement. If I remember, I'll let you know what I think after a sail.
Cya
Thanks,

Please do.

Tom