Reefing Lines Hard to Pull

GeoffSchultz

Reefing Lines Hard to Pull

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I've noted that my in-boom reefing lines have become much harder to pull when raising the sail. As a result I pull the reefing lines through to the end of the boom before raising the sail. This leaves a long loop of line dangling around, which is potentially quite dangerous. I don't quite understand what's going on as they used to raise fine, but now exhibit a large amount of drag. I've checked the individual blocks, and they seem OK. Has anyone else seen this and how did you solve it?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Re: Reefing Lines Hard to Pull

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I have noticed that as lines age they present greater and greater resistance in blocks. This effect is to the point of being counter-intuitive. For instance, with our old halyards it was nearly impossible to raise the sails without some mechanical assistance. I had no previous experience with the strong track system so I was attributing too much of the resistance to that. New halyards and they go up ever so sweet with far less effort. I have found that washing the lines with fabric softener can breath some new life into them. This does however leave them a bit fuzzy. I've also known some sailors on a budget to use some kind of an electric "razor" to clean up the fuzzys.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

THE FUZZYS,

I have heard of that, we use brazilian waxing in these latitudes, so sweet! Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

jgeorgas

Post by jgeorgas »

I had the same problem with my outhaul. Turns out the birdies had packed t.he end of the boom with bird nest matl

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

I also had the same bird in boom problem. Had straw coming out of the aft end of the boom all summer.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

My problem isn't bird (nest) related. I can see down the entire length of the interior of the boom, and it's clear.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

dwight

Post by dwight »

I had a birds nest in the boom when I bought my boat. I had to remove the casting from the end of the boom, hang the boom over the side, release the lazyjacks to rest the boom on the lifelines and spray a high pressure hose from the gooseneck. This blew the bird crap out the end. I also removed the reef lines and ran them through the washer.

I found that a sponge cut slightly larger than the hole can be wedged it in place. Kept the birds out of my boom for four years until the sponge crumbled with age. Easy and cheap to replace.
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Good reminder for me to remove the rags from the mizzen boom! :)

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage