Looking for Massachusetts Sail maker

St-leg

Looking for Massachusetts Sail maker

Post by St-leg »

I'm sure this has been asked before...nothing on my search result. I will need to replace my mainsail after this season for a 1990 Freedom 32 - original main sail and now with a tear. Can anyone recommend a sail maker for Freedoms? I noticed Haarstick is the OEM for Freedom and somewhat local. Has anyone had any experience with Haarstick? Appreciate any info!!
Claire

Paul Langevin

Re: Looking for Massachusetts Sail maker

Post by Paul Langevin »

We used Haarstick's Rhode Island office for a new jib and main for our F 40/40 in 2011. Our mast had been shortened by 4+ by the previous owner so it wasn't just a standard measurement. They came to the yard in Barrington, took the measurements and delivered the sails on time so we could sail her home to NJ. The sails set, great and are well made with all the tweaking lines and excellent hardware. I would recommend them. I know some folks thought that they were expensive but you get what you pay for.
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40

St-leg

Post by St-leg »

Thanks for the feedback! Curious about what is considered expensive? I did a random price quote online and got a quote for around $1900 which included 3 reefs, full battens, and insignia.

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

My initial Freedom 25 came with a main sail made by Harding Sails in Marion Mass. Also not the cheapest loft but very high quality sails. http://www.hardingsails.com/

Happy sailing
Jim Driebeek

bbarnewolt

Post by bbarnewolt »

Had a set made by Thurston in Bristol, RI. Lots of experience with Freedoms. Great quality. Not inexpensive. Happy.
Brien
1988 F36/38
Mattapoisett, MA