Need wishbones for Freedom 40 ac

Need wishbones for Freedom 40 ac

Postby Boatfxr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Hello, I recently became involve with rerigging the boat back to original wrap around sails and wishbone booms.The boat has carbo fiber mast which are being reworked. I’ve got good leads on sails I just don’t having anything or reference to building at set of wishbones. Can anyone here be of assistance?
Boatfxr

Re: Need wishbones for Freedom 40 ac

Postby Castaway » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:43 am

On the prototype Freedom 40, they were built of laminated wood, according to the pictures I have seen, and this might well be the simplest way of making "one off" wishbones. Pretty well all the others have aluminium tubular wishbones, which would be lighter for the same strength and need less maintenance. You would need to get the measurements from a '40' owner; I have a '35', and could post constructional details (photographs) but not sizes.

So many cat ketches were converted to 'conventional' booms and sails, that there ought to be some discarded wishbones lying around, and they might be the optimal choice, if only you can find them!

Personally, I wouldn't change the wrap around/wishbone sail system even for a 10% increase in sail area and full battens; the flexibility and ease of handing or reefing are so great.

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland
Castaway

Postby Boatfxr » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 am

Thank you Castaway. I can use any info you provide. Iv'e personally saw this boat back in '04 and wAs fascinated by her free standing mast and uncomplicated rigging along with her clear decks. I do not know what any parts of the wishbone look like.
If you could, please send some picks and maybe dimensions which may enlarged to fit. BTW you have the same viewpoints on this design that we do .
Boatfxr

Postby Castaway » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:49 pm

You can find more details and schematics of the layout from this site, try 'Manuals & Documentation'; there is a complete manual for commissioning the F35 (33 in US) cat ketch. This will give clues about attachment of the wishbones, control lines, etc. I don't think a scaling up of the dimensions will work, as the F35 is not a 'scale model' of the F40. Anyway, my boat is in Sweden, 300NM away. I have some pictures from when she was laid up a few years ago, and also a picture of the mizzen sail set. The tube diameter of the mizzen wishbone is less than for the main, and the outhaul can produce a lot of tension, so they don't need to be pared down too much.

brother 6.jpg
end of mizzen wishbone
brother 6.jpg (219.12 KiB) Viewed 353 times

wishbone (2).jpg
mizzen sail set
wishbone (2).jpg (140.13 KiB) Viewed 353 times

More pics to follow when I have sorted file size.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland
Castaway

Postby Boatfxr » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Hey thanks for what you’ve sent so far. That the clearest pic I’ve seen so far in my research. Looking forward to whatever else you may have.
Boatfxr

Return to Rigging and Sails