Boom crutch or gallows

Belanich

Boom crutch or gallows

Post by Belanich »

Hi All,
Has anyone fitted a permanent or fold down boom crutch or gallows on their freedom. I have a North lazy cover that acts like a sail at anchor or when motoring and the boom swings back and forth even when I pull down hard on the mainsheet. To prevent the boom from swinging I tie two lines from the boom to the midship cleats. The constant pull on the lazy cover has caused it to deteriorate quickly. A solution would be to have a boom crutch or gallows.
Thanks,
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto F38 #65

Camino

Re: Boom crutch or gallows

Post by Camino »

Michael - I’ll chime in here but others will have more knowledge. The first boat I had was one I built and it had a boom crutch. Worked well. On Goodway (F35 P) at anchor or motoring in chop etc, I rig a single line to the Mack pack SS boom-end bracket on my Mack Pack at aft end of boom and secure that to aft rail either p/s. Crank down on the main sheet and all is good. The Mack pack is large but doesn’t “sail” at anchor - if it did a bit it would tend to hold the boat dw or at a slight angle which would be good. This is a very simple arrangement- easy to put in and remove. Make sense?
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Hi Camino
Thanks for responding. As I state in the post I do tie a port and starboard line to the boom. My concern is with forces that are holding the boom up. I have four choices.
1. I can use the main halyard as a topping lift. I don't like this choice because it will put continuous flex on the upper part of the mast.
2. I can crank the mainsheet and against my rigid vang. I don't like this choice because my rigid vang does not have a mast ring. It has a bolted on fitting so all of the force would be applied to a small area at the base of the mast.
3. I can support the boom with the North lazy cover. Because of the stresses on the lazy cover it only lasted two seasons!
4. Boom gallows or crutch. This would solve the problem and spare the rig.

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

#1 is what I do. The mast can absolutely handle it, no problem.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Cleanhull

Post by Cleanhull »

Absolutely +1

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Another who uses the main halyard as a topping lift.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

bobr

Post by bobr »

I use the main halyard as a topping lift, too. But the boom does swing when the halyard is clipped on the sail and the sail is on the boom. I will rig a line from the end of the boom to the rail to steady it if I anticipate motoring for a long stretch with the sail down, which is fairly unusual.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

We use a folding "x" shape boom crutch, which lies on the side deck when not in use, and doesn't fly about even in rough seas! On hot sunny days, we can rig a 'bimini' over it, and it's perfectly stable, or a tarpaulin to keep the rain off if we don't want to put up the cockpit tent.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland