Stack Pack

Stack Pack

Postby lee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:29 am

I added a stack pack to my Freedom 30. When they installed the stack pack they replaced the lazy jacks. the old lazy jacks supported the boom when the main halyard was on the sail, the new ones do not. When I talked to the stack pack company they suggested a topping lift for the boom and not thinking it through I agreed and added one. If your ahead of me...because of the shape of the sail the sail gets caught up in the topping lift when you try to tack (Unless there is allot of wind.)
So my question is, I've seen a bunch of Freedoms with stack packs. Anyone have a solution to supporting the boom?
lee

Re: Stack Pack

Postby Camino » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:53 am

Lee - I have a topping lift on my f35 P and I have a Mack Pack with their lazy jacks. The topping lift is original. With the mainsail hoisted the topping lift should be eased to avoid fouling and chaffing the upper mainsail. Can you ease the topping lift? In the Mack pack case the lazy jacks do support the boom and really my topping lift is not necessary except perhaps for an emergency main halyard jiffy-rig.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA
Camino

Postby JohnReinagel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi Lee, my F32 has a boom kicker, works quite well as long as I remember not to lean too heavily on the boom. If set correctly it also add additional twist into the sail when the breeze is light.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53
JohnReinagel

Postby lee » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:18 am

Camino: My topping lift is a Dyneema line that ties on to the end of the boom. How do you have it rigged to ease the line?

John; love the idea of a boom kicker but will have to look into the expense. Would love the cheaper solution right now :)
lee

Postby Camino » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:00 pm

I’ll take a pic later this week and post it
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA
Camino

Postby jrandall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi Lee,

Curious about which brand of stack pack you went with and your overall level of satisfaction with your choice. I'm considering doing the same on my F30/32.
jrandall

Postby lee » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:47 am

Have a Doyle Sails Cradle cover. The only issues I had was supporting the boom. Still have not really resolved it. It is a little hard to get the sail up with the lazy jacks (have to hold the boat directly into the wind or the battens can get caught on them) but I would guess that is true of any lazy jack system just tougher with so many full battens. otherwise I think the quality and the ease of use is very good.
lee

Return to Rigging and Sails