Stack Pack

lee

Re: Stack Pack

Post by lee »

This is about replacing my lazy jacks with a stack pack and no longer having the boom supported.
OK so 10 months later, I have added a way to ease the topping lift at the mast to allow for the roach of the sail to pass from side to side through the topping lift line. Did not test of course until I was in rolling seas at 15-20 kts. When I released the topping lift to tack the boom came down lower than the Bimini so of course I could not tack at all. Managed to get the sail down, attach the halyard back to the boom end and pull the boom up and then re tighten the topping lift.
so I think I'm done with the topping lift. I thinking of a Boom Kicker to support the mast now. would love any other ideas or thought from people who have a Boom kicker.
Thanks
Lee

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

Well it has been a while it on a previous boat I had a hydraulic boom vang and it worked quite well. It had a pump that would lower the boom quite well while running and as I recall supported the boom quite well. This was gosh probably 25 years ago. It came on a previous boat so not sure about details on brand nor installation.

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

As I had mentioned I have the boom kicker supporting the boom. What I did not mention is I have lazy jacks to something similar to a stack pack system. I find it very user friendly and if I keep the sail track lubricated the sail drops right down about 85-90% into the canvas. I little tuck here and there and it's zippered up. I have the lazy jacks set so I hardly ever need to adjust the lines. They are taught when the boom is at rest and loose when the sail is raised.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

lee

Post by lee »

I'm guessing Boom kicker is the way to go. My Stack Pack also has lazy jacks, they just don't support the boom the way the stock ones do. I do have problems getting the sail up in fluky weather do to the roach getting caught on the wrong sides of the lazy jacks but I guess there are some problems with everything. I love the way the sail drops into the stack pack as well! thank you all. Off to enjoy what looks to be a wonderful Labor Day weekend with nice wind!