Any recommendation for Solent based Riggers for Freedoms?

hotstonp

Any recommendation for Solent based Riggers for Freedoms?

Post by hotstonp »

Greetings all,

Looks like Feronia needs a mast pull to fix the top sheaves. Consequently I thought I would get as much work done as I can whilst the stick is out. Any one recommend any Riggers in the Solent area? Pulling the mast makes me nervous ....

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

Crossjack

Re: Any recommendation for Solent based Riggers for Freedoms

Post by Crossjack »

Hi Peter
The riggers at Aladdins cave, Deacons have access to a cherry picker I believe. It may negate the need to pull the mast. Like you, we would be nervous doing that as we dont know anyone who has the experience of Freedom masts...

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

Pulling the mast on a 32 is a fairly simple process. There will be either an “L” bracket or bolts holding the base of the mast to the polyurethane hat that it sits on. Remove those. Lift up a foot or so and tuck the wires into the hole they are sticking out of. then pull out the rest of the way. To do the actual lift you will need to tie off a line under the goose neck bracket and then also tie it to the collar of the hoist. Everyone at my club is amazed how simple a process it is.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Hi Crossjack

I will have to have a chat with Deacons then as that sounds like a plan.

Hi Alan

Thanks for that information - it does make me feel happier about that.

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Hi, Peter,

We have had the masts out of Castaway on several occasions, just using a mast crane at the local marina, twice using a HiAb on the back of a lorry, and once using a pukka crane. The lift and replacement is easy, with a little care and two helpers. The hard part is getting the mast collar(s) freed from sealant and then loosening the mast partner – usually a polyurethane ring. And putting them back, afterward! I reckon on half a day for the two masts, plus time for cursing, and crawling into the chain locker to tighten the forward collar. At least you will be spared the locker on your boat.

Technically it is not very difficult, though it is worth marking the mast at the step so you can be sure it is correctly aligned fore and aft. The same applies to the partner wedge, since that is the only control for keeping the mast exactly vertical. I explain the slight disparity between main and mizzen as a 'feature' of the rig, when on certain (unspecified) points of sail.

Have fun!

Regards,

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

seadago

Post by seadago »

hotstonp wrote:Greetings all,

Looks like Feronia needs a mast pull to fix the top sheaves. Consequently I thought I would get as much work done as I can whilst the stick is out. Any one recommend any Riggers in the Solent area? Pulling the mast makes me nervous ....

Keep well
Peter
Hi Pete
If the need is to do maintenance on top of the mast, I would suggest you consider hiring a small crane and doing the work with the mast standing. As others have said, getting the masts off is not difficult - if you know what you are doing! In my case however, lowering the masts implies also re-cabling lights, radio antenna, etc; that is a nightmare, as the cables run behind the furniture. I would imagine there will be more than one rigger in the south coast that can offer you a small craneage service to do this.
If you don't find anyone where you are, I can suggest a rigger in Lowestoft that will do it for you. You will have to pay for his transport to site, but the guy is competent, and he removed and reset the masts on Nausikaa twice with good results. Let me know.
Cheers
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Thanks for your responses.

I ended up using AllSpars Solent. The mast is now out and being worked on. Feronia was not lifted out of the water when the mast came out and it came out very easily which is a relief.
Mastless Freedom 33 Sloop
Mastless Freedom 33 Sloop
IMG_0974 (1).jpeg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
She is now looking sad without her mast.....