Is this a G10 rig?

seadago

Re: Is this a G10 rig?

Post by seadago »

Seems a complicate rig, but it isn't really. Remember, Gio adapted the setup of traditional Dutch barges, so the system has been tried and tested.

I put grommets every two feet on the luff, and on either side, top and bottom, of the batten pockets. I have five full length battens on each sail. I did this to give me flexibility on how I was going to lace my sails to the mast. I don't use all of them. The more turns of the rakbanden round the mast, the more friction resistance you'll have when hoisting.

For the boom choke, y copied the idea of the original rigging and had them made of wide and stiff webbing with ss rings sewn onto them. If you check in previous posts of mine, there are some pics of them.
The choke is not fixed like on a Nonsuch. This is because I have to change the height of the boom by a couple of feet in order to set the highest reef on the sail and keep the sail trimmed. A webbing choke that slides up and down the mast allows me to do this. The choke is attached to the mast with a line. I can change the length and tension of that line, but mostly I don't, and control the camber of the sail with the outhawl and the angle of the boom.

Rafael
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Thanks Rafael. I did look at your other post regarding the chocker and will save the picture. I'll figure it out, just needed a little direction to get this going. Now to suck up some OT to pay for sails....
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

andygc

Post by andygc »

Sailing-61-North

Can I just toss in a couple of small points? The word "rakbanden" is plural. The original design of the rig does not use a spiral line down the luff, it uses a series of short lines, using the method used by Dutch sailing barges. If I remember correctly they were the outer sheath of braid on braid rope, fixed to the sail at one end and stoppered through a cringle at the other. That shouldn't catch on the boom lift eyeplate. I wonder if Rafa had problems because of using a continuous line. The details are somewhere in the information posted here about the rig.

In your photos you have a line tied round the mast as a temporary yoke strop (choker). Do you know that the ends of the yoke go through the eye plates on the front of the boom when they are tied round the boom?

Andy
Sold for health reasons :(

seadago

Post by seadago »

Thanks Andy, and you are quite correct, it is plural. I've seen traditional vessels in Holland with both, a continuous line, lashed in different ways, and also with parrels attached as you describe to the luff, with wooden beads (kloten) on them. Very old fashioned!
Initially, I did not like the continuous spiral line either. I fashioned parrels with beads (resin, not wooden) and I put four or five on the sails instead of the continuous line. Results were mixed. They tended to get tangled when hoisting, limited the depth of the reefs I could have, and I could not get a good shape on the sail. It took a lot of tension on the halyard to get the luff straight. And they did get cought in the pad eye and boom halyard tackle. Then I started using the continuous line, retaining the top two and bottom two parrels at the head and tack of the sail, and relocating the boom tackle to the front of the mast. This, in my particular case, seems to work best in most conditions.
It's a matter of trial and error in many cases, and personal preference, and experimenting is key, IMO, to get it "right".
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82

Sailing-61-North

andygc wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 am
Sailing-61-North

Can I just toss in a couple of small points? The word "rakbanden" is plural. The original design of the rig does not use a spiral line down the luff, it uses a series of short lines, using the method used by Dutch sailing barges. If I remember correctly they were the outer sheath of braid on braid rope, fixed to the sail at one end and stoppered through a cringle at the other. That shouldn't catch on the boom lift eyeplate. I wonder if Rafa had problems because of using a continuous line. The details are somewhere in the information posted here about the rig.

In your photos you have a line tied round the mast as a temporary yoke strop (choker). Do you know that the ends of the yoke go through the eye plates on the front of the boom when they are tied round the boom?

Andy
Hi Andy. My game plan was as you described - as set of short lines around the mast (Has anyone utilized flat webbing?) . Rafa did suggest rakbanden for the top and having cringles every 2-ft along the luff.. Ignor the line tied around the mast. Its just to keep it in place for now. Not sure if I will go with the original setup as described regarding the boom lashing line, something similar to I what appeared to be a soft belt around the mast with metal loops or maybe adopt the adjustable method as on a nonsuch.

Now with that said what would be the ideal measurement for the boom lashing (Distance from the front of the mast to the apex of the boom. The rigging schedule calls for an 8-ft section of 3/8". Secondary measurement is what height does one usually have the mizzen off the back rail?

Thanks
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

seadago

Post by seadago »

I think you will find the answers to some of your questions depend on the cut of your sails. The original wrap around sails were fairly flat and triangular, with short luff battens. My new sails are very roachy (too much in fact) with full length battens, so they hang differently. The higher you carry your boom in the front, the shorter the horizontal distance between the mast and the end of the boom. The inclination of the boom applies tension on the clew of the sail at different angles, and determines the camber and overall three-dimensional shape of the aerofoil of your sail.

Also consider that, on my boat and with my sails at least, the main is the tractor sail in most points of sail. The mizzen helps with traction, but mainly provides balance, so you don't end up with uncomfortable weather or lee helm. As a rule of thumb, when beating, I carry the mizzen slightly over-trimmed; when running, slightly under-trimmed. This gives me the best balance overall.
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa

Sailing-61-North

So in the process of "Design" for a new Main and Mizzen. Already paid 50% so it's a go.

1. I will be going with a modified version of the G10. Color scheme is the attachment.
2. Wishbone lift I will be moving to the front and as mentioned have it on a double pulley system hanging from a single dynmea line.
3. Lacing will be done in short sections.
4. 2 Reefs per sail
5. Full battens
6. My chocker will be a flat, for lack of better description, arborist climbing belt. Flat 3-Inch belt with rings on both side and the front.
7. Chocker control. I will be setting up a pulley system that will allow me to move the wishbone for/aft from the cockpit. Similar to the Norsuch.
8. Outhaul. Still on the fence here about having it fixed to a cleat on the wishbone vs running back to the cockpit.
9. Luff line. I like the idea of the flat webbing vs dynmea line. I will talk to the sail designer about this.
10. Grommets on the luff every 2-ft.

Ok so what did I miss???

Thanks
Attachments
redtuxpackage.jpg
redtuxpackage.jpg (166.34 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

seadago

Post by seadago »

Look very smart. Congrats!
When designing the sails, may I suggest you give some thought to the following:
1) put a 3rd reef, at least on the main, but prefetrably on both. It will give you more options. I also only have two reefs and I miss a third in a hard blow.
2) when calculating the position of the reefs on each sail, try and keep the proportion between the sails constant. In other words, on each reefing step, the proportion of canvass aloft on each sail relative to the other sail should not change a lot. This is to maintain the correct position of the centre of effort along the length of the boat, and avoid uncomfortable weather or lee helm. In conversation with a couple of sail makers about freedom ketch rigs and where to place the reefs on each sail, they were noticeably puzzled by this. In most sloop-rigged ketches, the mizzen is much smaller than the main, and there is a huge head sail, so balance is achieved differently. In my boat, the mizzen is only a few square feet smaller than the main.
3) You will find that if you want to tighten the outhaul on any wind above 10 or 12 knots, you will have to lead it to a winch. You will not be able to do it by hand and secure it on a cleat on the wishbone, even with a pùrchase.
4) I have the geodesics for my sails. I might be useful to you running these files past your sailmaker as an example, so to avoid the mistakes I made! :roll:
Let us know how you progress!
Cheers
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa

Sailing-61-North

1. Agree on the 3rd reef. At this point it's only a few hundred more.

2. I follow: 1st reef (Example: 30% for each sail area) 2nd reef ( Example : 50% for each sail area). I am working on figuring out new running rigging. I want to color cold the main, mizzen and reef lines. Cheaper to purchase line in 600-ft spools.

3. Yea I kinda figured I would need to run the outhaul all the way back.

4. Geodesics??? Not sure exactly what you are referring to. I assume the cut of the sail?

Thanks
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

seadago

Post by seadago »

Sailing-61-North wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:26 pm
4. Geodesics??? Not sure exactly what you are referring to. I assume the cut of the sail?

Thanks
Hi, attached. This is the output of the modelling program used by the sailmaker to design the three-dimentional shape of the sails. They will use the same to calculate the position of the reefing points.

Rafa
Attachments
Ulmann design specs sails.docx
(66.17 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa