Antal two-way traveler winch install

Belanich

Antal two-way traveler winch install

Post by Belanich »

I just finished installing the Antal two-way winch to handle the traveler controls. The 8:1 winch and the 2:1 blocks gives me a 16:1 purchase. 12 turns on winch to go from all the way port to all the way stbd.
traveler1.jpg
traveler1.jpg (136.07 KiB) Viewed 3887 times

JohnReinagel

Re: Antal two-way traveler winch install

Post by JohnReinagel »

Great idea, very nice. I'm certain that you will miss the burns though. I may need to consider this mod, I like it.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

A great solution. I am trying to think of how I could install one on my F40/40. I am the only person that seems to be able to adjust the traveler by hand, even with all the purchase. There is so much friction in the system. Wondering if any others with F40/40s have come up with a solution.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

If you are having a lot of trouble with the traveler, it is time to change the ball bearings. I have a '97 Pedrick 35. The ball bearings definitely needed replacing. Changed them this spring. Follow the Harken instructions. The only trouble I had was the screws holding down the control cars at the end of the traveler. Stainless steel into aluminum and 23 years of salt water and sun had bound them tight. I tried different techniques for over a week. A friend brought over his impact drill, put it at at the lowest setting and they loosened up.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

I will definitely take a look!
Tony

Camino

Post by Camino »

Salacia - I believe my 1999 F35 P also needs traveler ball bearing replacement :D Did you use Torlon bAlls? What size and how many did you need to buy (packs)? All set to try too... Do your end pieces look like these?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0112.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg (38.96 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

The parts are all Harken. For the traveler car, use HBB197 Big Boat Non-captive Bearing Car Rebuild Kit. Yes, big boat. This is a big main.
The major problem I had was removing the control cars at the end of the track as I mentioned in the prior message. Be gentle with an impact drill. If they loosen by hand, so much the better.
Do be careful rolling the car onto the carloader. You can end up with bearings everywhere. It can go very smoothly though.
You might also want to change the bearings in the control cars. Part # 176 6 mm Delrin Ball Bearing — 21 Balls per bag. You will probably need more than one bag. I don't know how many per block.
This is trickier. There are four grooves that need bearings and the bearings do want to come out. Do this work over something with a lip because the balls falling out is very likely. I was told by a rigger to use toothpaste to hold them in and then rinse thoroughly with water. Boat smells like spearmint but that is OK.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

I spent time working on my traveler yesterday. Turns out two of the blocks were completely frozen. I ended up lining all blocks and the traveler cars (yes there are two) with McLube One Drop. Got everything moving much better. But I do think a bearing replacement is in order for both cars and all blocks.
I am also considering going down to 5/16 line to help reduce friction. The way the blocks are set up on the F40/40 there are places where the line seems to just barely touch moving in opposite directions.
Tony