Changing from Roller Furler to Camber Spar

TonyB

Changing from Roller Furler to Camber Spar

Post by TonyB »

Hey folks,
it looks like I am starting down the path of moving away from the roller furler that my boat came with and installing a camber spar set up. I am in the process of purchasing the actual spar (thanks to Al Jacobs). So now I need a sail. Anyone have a camber spar sail for a F40/40 that is in reasonable shape sitting in their garage?

Or how about a sail design for one, so when I go to get one made I have something to hand off to a sail maker? Or along those lines, do you think that there is any chance of modifying my self tacking roller furler sail to be a camber spar sail? Obviously adding hanks is the easy part, what else needs to happen? A pocket for the spar. But is the sail shape significantly different?

Thanks!
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

newt2u

Re: Changing from Roller Furler to Camber Spar

Post by newt2u »

Hi Tony, on my F21, the self-tacking jib uses a metal wishbone attached to the clew and again at a right angles to the luff. It just clears the mast and is sheeted to the base of the mast so the sheet angle to the clew is extreme but it seems to work OK. The length of the frame is not adjustable and gives the jib maybe 5-10% camber, see old pic attached from previous owner. You can see leeward side of the wishbone frame.
Attachments
IMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0538.jpeg (84.45 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Thanks Newt2u... actually looking more for a template for a sail for a 40/40 designed with the camber spar. :)
Tony

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

OK now I have come accross a new stumbling block in this project. Shipping a 12 foot camberspar accross country seems to be problematic? Has any one done this before? Any thoughts? Already tried UPS/Fedex. They want a crate built around it. I can't really make that happen from the opposite coast.
Tony

Elcapitan

Post by Elcapitan »

TonyB wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:14 pm
OK now I have come accross a new stumbling block in this project. Shipping a 12 foot camberspar accross country seems to be problematic? Has any one done this before? Any thoughts? Already tried UPS/Fedex. They want a crate built around it. I can't really make that happen from the opposite coast.
The best suited option would be to ship this shrink wrapped on to two pallets. They can pick it up and possibly tie the spar down to a pallet. I used R+L Carriers before and they were both, quality service and affordable for a trucking company that handles any type of freight: https://www.rlcarriers.com/
S/Y Star Wake
87' Freedom 30
Hull # 75
Cortez, FL

UBETCHAII

Post by UBETCHAII »

I once shipped a 13 ft spinnaker pole across the US From NC to San Francisco and had to use a motor carrier. UPS, FEDEX Etc wanted nothing to do with it.

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Did you have to crate it? Trying to figure out if maybe I put it in a PVC tube that would work.
Tony

bad

Post by bad »

You can try something like Uship. com. I've had good luck. But pay attention to the ratings of the carriers. Also, I think at this time of the year you have boats being shipped East to West, so some boat transporter may be an option.

Best of luck!

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Thanks Bad. I did ask for a quote on Uship and the quotes I got were very expensive. Will keep looking for options.

Thanks
Tony
Tony

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I wonder why they couldn't just wrap the camber spar heavily with sill insulation and then with plastic wrap and just ship it that way.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org