F40/40 Main Halyard Chafe

TonyB

F40/40 Main Halyard Chafe

Post by TonyB »

Hi Folks,
a few weeks ago I had my main halyard chafe through on my F40/40. It chafed through right at the masthead. It happened in winds that came on suddenly and strong (30+ knts) but still I was surprised that it chaffed through (very quickly). I hadn't noticed any significant wear prior to that, although the halyard was old.

I was wondering if any one else has had issues with this? Any design issues with the masthead or sheave that would cause this? I have to have a rigger craned up to run the new one, so will have him inspect, but wondering if this is a common issue or not.

Thanks!
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Brickyard Cove Marina, Richmond, CA

GeoffSchultz

Re: F40/40 Main Halyard Chafe

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I have 50K+ miles on BlueJacket, and never had an issue. Now, if you were talking about the jib halyard, I would say yes. You need to have them check to see what it chaffed on.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Good to know. Yes the Jib/Spinnaker box seems a bit problematic. I will probably pull the mast next fall and look at doing something with that set up to improve it. I know Carliane on her F38 replaced hers with a nice set up. Anything you have done with yours?
Tony

BillMA

Post by BillMA »

Paul Dennis has a SS replacement for the jib box on the 40/40 that he designed and will special order when needed. Not inexpensive but substantial and a "must/should do" while performing mast work.
Bill in MA
Azura 2000 40/40

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Thanks Geoff. I saw his replacement box on his website. Good to know it is worth it! Well the rigger who went up the mast found that the main halyard sheave had a nick in it. Probably enough to tear into the line over time. They new halyard is much thinner so shouldn’t be near it. But will still replace the sheave pronto!
Tony