Syntheic Headstay

TonyB

Re: Syntheic Headstay

Post by TonyB »

I know the shackle is oriented wrong. It isn’t wide enough. I will have to replace it. In the meantime this shackle is way overkill so strength shouldn’t be a problem.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Thanks for the pictures! Appreciate the details.

I know you say the shackle is overkill, but I would be very, very wary about using any shackle like that. It looks like you're using a shackle with a headless pin that is only threaded on one side. That means none of the load is on the pin, so you're putting the entire load of the forestay on the bend of that shackle. It's like if you take a paperclip and load it lengthways vs loading it sideways by putting all the load at the very end of the wire - in the sideways configuration the paperclip can take barely any load at all.

I know this is an unstayed rig so there's not much load on the forestay anyway - just be very careful!
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Headless shackles use a countersunk pin Ian, so there is some support, although they are usually not load rated.

Thanks for the pictures Tony, I have been thinking about adding a permanent forestay to my F21, I don’t like the arrangement of hanking onto the halliard that I have now.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Oh I see that now. That's a little better.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL