freedom 21 mast exit block

newt2u

Re: freedom 21 mast exit block

Post by newt2u »

Ian, I'm guessing that elongating the hole at the same location for an internal jib halliard would severely weaken the mast. I'm pretty sure the SS fittings on the Spinnaker block are there to reinforce the mast around the cutout. With smaller diameter HMWPE lines you might fit a smaller double block in the same cutout.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

pburos

Post by pburos »

Dear Ian
Sorry I didn't see your request until now.
As to your first question, yes I would think a second internal halyard could be installed w/o too much trouble when the mast is down. Would need to buy the exit block, the ss halyard entry fitting at the base of the mast, and cut out holes in the mast. We have a F21 in our fleet which has two fore halyards. Don't know whether it is a factory option or done after.
We have pics of three F-21s, including my Sweet Caroline, in our fleet in Sarasota. Go to pelicancovesc.com and click on pics. My e-mail is pburos@gmail.com. I would welcome you coming down to Sarasota some time.

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Thanks! I might try that one day after I finish the million projects I have in progress. It would be a huge improvement.

And that's awesome! I had no idea there were so many F21s in the area - I thought I was alone. Looks like you're about a day's sail from me. Maybe one day I'll take the trip down there and race with your fleet.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

pburos

Post by pburos »

Dear Ian
We would welcome you coming down. The fleet is in Pelican Cove. We should be able to arrange an overnight transient slip for you. Our next series starts Nov. 29-Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. for two weeks. Let me knw.

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but can anyone confirm that this is definitely the Harken big bullet block and not the regular bullet block? I need to do the same repair and frustratingly forgot to measure the dimensions when I had the mast down (that's what I get for hurrying...).

Also, do the rivets on the block itself go all the way into the mast or do they just go through that steel strap?

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Harken 1202 40mm Protexit block. Much more expensive but more than 2x the breaking load feels worth it.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL