F21 blade jib specifications

iansan5653

F21 blade jib specifications

Post by iansan5653 »

My boat is a shoal keel and the large jib that came with the boat is pretty much unusable in anything over 5-10 knots. I'd like a smaller headsail to help balance the sailplan in heavier winds. The blade jib seems much better suited for that.

I haven't found any used ones for sail so I'm thinking of getting one made - it's small so I figure it won't be too expensive. I found an old document (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Io63ad ... sp=sharing) that says the blade jib is 4 oz dacron with a luff length of 21' and an LP (what is LP?) of 6', but I'm not sure I trust that given that it's penciled in the margin. Can anyone provide me with the real measurements of their jib?

Alternatively I'd love to buy a used one if anyone has a spare lying around. I'm not picky at all about condition, considering that my other sails are all probably 20 years old.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

newt2u

Re: F21 blade jib specifications

Post by newt2u »

Hi Ian, LP is the shortest distance luff to clew, i.e along a line ar right angle to the luff. I will not be at the boat for a couple of weeks but will measure mine if you have not found anything by then.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

P.s. I have the same doc with the same note.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

That makes sense - thanks!
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL