Re: Weird Freedom

Post by newt2u »

Belt and braces :)
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

arrancomrades

Post by arrancomrades »

Hello,

Not so daft. I've often speculated about what to do if I lost a mast and one option seems to be to get a bog standard rig, maybe for some ghastly Bavaria or similar and land the mast where the toilet aft bulkhead is. Maybe get a stainless 'ring' made up in sections to go right round the inside of the hull to take the new stresses with a pole down to the keel. The inverted 'U' section of the deck-edge should provide a secure base for the shrouds.

The F33/35 has a lot going for it other than the rig.

I'd be very interested in this boat if anyone has more info.
Mike Johnston

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

It's a UK built F35 CK; the offset hatch at the aft end of the coachroof gives its provenance. Obviously out of commission, since both masts have been removed. I'm sure that if the picture was larger, you would see that the mast is that of the bermudian rig on the sloop beyond it.
To step a single mast in that sort of apparent position would mean taking it through the coachroof into the heads compartment, since otherwise it would sit on the centreboard casing and prevent that being moved.

Were I to need a jury rig after losing the main (for'ard) mast, I would set a staysail from the mizzen (aft), which I have anyway, and a reefed mizzen sail, and head downwind. The mizzen mast is actually amidships, so it should be sailable except for heading close hauled upwind.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Additional pictures can be found in the Yachtworld.com listing

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1980-c ... 5-8238463/

Happy sailing.

Jim D.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Peaceandfreedom, my apologies for the contradiction! I only saw a small version of the picture first. I tried to edit my reply, but obviously failed.
Looking again, I wondered why anyone would do such a thing, since the unstayed masts are such a benefit. I also wonder how sound the chainplate attachments are; the hull certainly wasn't designed for them, although the modification was obviously done by the builders in Hamble, since there are no openings for the masts in the deck/coachroof moulding.
Gerald Freshwater,
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

This boat was converted by the previous owner from a UK Freedom 35 Cat Ketch.

Happy sailing
Jim D

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Jim D,

The PO seems to have done some major conversion work; not only have the openings for the masts been closed, but the raised rim, of the aft one at least, has been cut down to leave the coachroof flat. Probably Fairways Marine would have made a neater job of the chainplates, too. The rubbing strake has just been cut through and not rounded off. I wonder if this was an affordable substitute for losing the CF masts?

Thanks for the info about the boat. I don't think I will be putting in an offer!

Have a good summer sailing!

Regards,

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

arrancomrades

Post by arrancomrades »

Hi Gerald and all,

The reason for my interest is purely financial. Say I lost the front mast and sail and the underwriters got iffy about the back mast, the 'Bavaria' rig would almost certainly be cheaper than sourcing or making new masts and would be something that boat and mast makers would take on without all the hand-wringing about our lovely unstayed masts. I don't see a problem with the chainplates but would query the wringing forces on a hull designed with the stresses elsewhere.

I would leave stubs of the masts as a bow samson post and the stub back mast might take at least part of the mainsheet and is integral to my bespoke saloon table. Some sort of kicking strap could be made out of the main slider. I've a lot of ideas about handling the jib and giving it a 'club' boom for running and tacking.

It's something I've mused on at length while puttering along at five knots in a calm. Of the Freedom rig, the sail covers and having no equivalent of a furling jib for short trips 'across the bay' are for me detractors. Anyway, it's all theoretical, I hope!
Mike Johnston